Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: The nature of a downswing in NL cash....

I never really understood this whole 12-20 times the buy-in in your bankroll rule. I used to deposit $50 and play the NL25 tables. it happened sometimes that i would lose the first buyin. it was rare to lose the second one without some winnings to get me playing again from the first deposit.
Then i would take out $50 out of my bankroll whenever it hit $150 or above. to buy dvds and stuff. I know, I know i should keep it in the bankroll but Im a student and i like dvds.

so anyway my point is, its quite rare to lose THAT many buyins as a net figure over any period of time? or is it that NL25 is soft enough that one simply doesnt NEED 12-20 buy-ins in the bankroll?

anyway decided to raise my game and started playing NL50. deposited $100 and promptly lost it over 3 hours. Deposited $100 more and things got interesting. been playing after class for average 6 hours a day for 4 days (missing sleep in the process) and the bankroll is a respectable $560 of which $200 was my own deposit and $50 was a deposit bonus for joining a new site.
so thats $300 profit in about 24 hours of play on the 'fast tables full ring' on pokerstars (you see more hands per hour).

incidentally is that a good rate of return? are you guys having 12-20 buy-ins because you plays a more aggresive game but the net gain is bigger?

I'm not trying to say im so good I dont NEED 12-20 buyins. its just that my experience is that its impossible to LOSE that many net in a row. So now im starting to think the accepted wisdom is to play MORE hands at a smaller edge like 55-45% and accept the increased variance but the +EV will add up. am I correct or am i being retarded?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never really understood this whole 12-20 times the buy-in in your bankroll rule. I used to deposit $50 and play the NL25 tables. it happened sometimes that i would lose the first buyin. it was rare to lose the second one without some winnings to get me playing again from the first deposit.
Then i would take out $50 out of my bankroll whenever it hit $150 or above. to buy dvds and stuff. I know, I know i should keep it in the bankroll but Im a student and i like dvds.

so anyway my point is, its quite rare to lose THAT many buyins as a net figure over any period of time? or is it that NL25 is soft enough that one simply doesnt NEED 12-20 buy-ins in the bankroll?

anyway decided to raise my game and started playing NL50. deposited $100 and promptly lost it over 3 hours. Deposited $100 more and things got interesting. been playing after class for average 6 hours a day for 4 days (missing sleep in the process) and the bankroll is a respectable $560 of which $200 was my own deposit and $50 was a deposit bonus for joining a new site.
so thats $300 profit in about 24 hours of play on the 'fast tables full ring' on pokerstars (you see more hands per hour).

incidentally is that a good rate of return? are you guys having 12-20 buy-ins because you plays a more aggresive game but the net gain is bigger?

I'm not trying to say im so good I dont NEED 12-20 buyins. its just that my experience is that its impossible to LOSE that many net in a row. So now im starting to think the accepted wisdom is to play MORE hands at a smaller edge like 55-45% and accept the increased variance but the +EV will add up. am I correct or am i being retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely not impossible to lose 12-20 buyins in a row. I've lost 15 in a row and was probably playing my B game overall. I like 40buyins per limit, not having enough buyins is way to stressful and I don't push small edges.

It's preference to a certain degree but any less than 20 buyins for a limit is risky.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 PM

you know what? poker [censored] with you. my hourly today was $20, plus about $30 in bonus and prob $30 in rakeback, yet i feel like I had a worthless [censored] day. Not a whole lot of other jobs a 23yo is doign to make this much cash.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 PM

may i ask what limits you guys are playing?

im currently playing NL50 and if i managed to lose net 11 buyins, i think i would have a mental breakdown and probably never play poker again.

I used to multitable NL25 on 2 windows. generally if i was up in one, i was down in another and it all evened out in the end.

hang on, are you guys having such big downswings cos you are playing like 8 tables at once? maybe i just play too safe or something. can you guys give me an idea of what limits you play and roughly BBs made per hour? or per 100 played? thx for the help
Old 12-07-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
may i ask what limits you guys are playing?

im currently playing NL50 and if i managed to lose net 11 buyins, i think i would have a mental breakdown and probably never play poker again.

I used to multitable NL25 on 2 windows. generally if i was up in one, i was down in another and it all evened out in the end.

hang on, are you guys having such big downswings cos you are playing like 8 tables at once? maybe i just play too safe or something. can you guys give me an idea of what limits you play and roughly BBs made per hour? or per 100 played? thx for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4 table right now at $50NL. I don't have poker tracker set up because of UB's new software that messes up Hand Histories. I imagine my BB/100 is well over 10+ though. I made about 4 BI's today and played 3 hours. That is pretty common for me.

Going to move up to $100NL by December 15th (i.e. when I get last month's rakeback payment).
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 PM

so you made 200 dollars in 3 hours... damn. must be tempting to quit the day job. did you make 4 buyins PER table or on 4 tables over 3 hours? so making that 1 buy-in over 3 hours on average per table.