Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Are you prejudiced against fat people?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I am.

I dont want to sit by them on a plane or at the movie theatre. I find them unhealthy and sometimes lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not necessarily prejudice. There is nothing irrational about not wanting to be uncomfortable at a theater or in a plane cause the guy next to you is taki ng up to much room.

Along the same lines, being fat is unhealthy and a fat person is probably more likely to be lazy than a non-fat person. As long as you don't assume that ALL fat people are lazy, I don't think you are prejudiced.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Diablo,

In what way are you prejudice against fat people. Is it like you automatically assume they are loud, obnoxious, lazy, and slobbish? Or just that they dont have a lot of self control when it comes to food, they dont exercise enough, and they are unhealthy?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 PM

I definitely make judgments before I have proof that they're true. Although I can't think of a particularly adverse one, I'm positive some are (I don't assume someone's a bad person or mean or anything like that, more likely that they're lazy and don't take care of themselves).

Other prejudices, who knows. I think a lot of it has to do (obviously) with what you're exposed to.

From the definitions, I definitely never have a hostile attitude toward one group/race/whatever. I suppose if you qualified something like "Boston Red Sox" fans as a group then I might, but I assume that's not what we're talking about.

I think a good example for me would be that if I see someone dressed in freak/goth clothing I assume they're weird or depressed. Is that unreasonable? Probably. I don't really know anyone that's in that crowd so I have no first hand experience.

I think in general I'm less prone to those kinds of judgments because there's such a mix of people in NYC that there's rarely one overriding characteristic of any group that makes you stray far from the norm.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Fatness is a good indication that a person is lazy and lacks willpower.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 PM

No. If the fat person doesn't feel accountable for their own fatness, feels entitled to special treatment due to their fatness, or feels excessively sorry for themselves because of their fatness, I develop a strongly adverse reaction. But I think those feelings have rational roots.

Someone who is just fat I don't harbor any ill feelings towards. They don't value their health and fitness. I lot of people don't share my values either. No biggie.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes... I won't sleep with them...

i'm also prejudice against Male-red-heads... i automatically think they are pusssssy's

[/ QUOTE ]

im prejudiced against people who dont know the difference between plural and apostrophes. i am serious to some extent.

also i do find that i am prejudiced against overweight people. not really proud of that but i am somewhat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I am.

I dont want to sit by them on a plane or at the movie theatre. I find them unhealthy and sometimes lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not necessarily prejudice. There is nothing irrational about not wanting to be uncomfortable at a theater or in a plane cause the guy next to you is taki ng up to much room.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I hate them for it?

i am prejudiced against them in certain contexts. for instance, restaurants, anywhere there is group seating, etc.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM

yes they are gross
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I hate them for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends how strong your hate is. I think it's reasonable to dislike someone because they make you uncomfortable without good cause.

Though intense hatred might be considered a little irrational.