Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Advice for beginner Tournament Player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Harrington on Holdem haha sorry guys. I have read sklansy's books, not his tournament book, caro's book, and the first super system. Harrington's is a good read and very useful then, thanks guy. Also any adivce on where i should start to play like on stars 180 player tournaments for $10

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, 180's are a good place to start. I can't say whether 10 is right FOR YOU or not.

Also, play some SnG's to get some similar-to-FT experience - all the money in tournaments come from being in the top 3 (satellites are exception).

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the recommendation to play single-table SnGs. In fact, I think you should play lots of them while you try your first MTTs. Study ICM and learn how to pushbot until it becomes completely intuitive in the right situations. One primary difference between tournaments and cash games is that $EV does not always equal cEV, and you need to exploit that via fold equity.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assunimg your BR permits, I would avoid any MTTs with buyins less than $20. In the less expensive MTTs, you run into so many more bad beats and just goofy opponents. I've found $5 MTTs to be so much more frustrating than a $33 Mtt.
Then again, I like to be aggro, and there's no room for that in a $5 MTT. At least not until very deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't beat the low buyins consistently, you will not be able to beat the higher buyins with better levels of play.

This argument is made so often and is wrong IMO.

To the OP: Usually you want to play in tournaments where you have 100 buy-ins. For the 180's you can manage with a smaller bankroll, perhaps 60-80 buyins although 100 is obv. much better. If you are going to play huge tournaments (1200+ runners) I would suggest a bankroll that is slightly larger, like 125-150 buyins.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read HOH series, read/print out all the anthology posts here.. and don't get discouraged above all.. remember that 0/30 ITM streaks are not all that uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAGtard FYP. Don't overlook Phil Gordon's Little Green Book either. (Although that may not be as useful if you're starting out with the 10/180's.)

If you've got solid cashgame skills, you'll be ok. Don't make tourney play your bread and butter initially until you find you're comfortable with them.

Difference in adjustments, you gotta be willing to stack off more often, especially on draws/combo draws if the situation dictates it.

There's far less multi-street play in shallow MTT's, as you don't generally have 100BB to work with. You can't leave a tourney if your furnace explodes, they're generally several-hour commitments.

HOH has all you need theory-wise. Don't get too fancy, v-bet your strong hands, be willing to be very aggressive on turns, etc.

Simple thing to keep in mind, the object of a tournament is to get every chip in play.