Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: just curious - regarding royal flushes

Just got my 1st royal playing stud high on line last week in over a a years worht of playing. Got it on 7th street. Actually got paid off quite a bit for it cause the other guy made a boat against me.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:17 PM

3 in 18 months prob abt 300k hands
Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM

I made a royal flush within my first 30 hours or so (approximately 900 hands?) when I started playing at the local 2/4 B&M.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 PM

i played for about one month online and had two in the first two days i played. also saw 5 or six others in that short period of time. never had one live and only have seen one hit at my table in about 4 years of live play. i have only had one straight flush (flopped), i had A5d and the flop came 234d, turn was 7d, river blank. i was up against one other player who wanted to get it capped on every street w/ KQd. the look on his face at show down was priceless. quads a bunch four queens last week.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Someone else will pop up and correct me, but I think the odds of getting a royal flush in five cards is 650k to 1. In hold'em, you get up to seven cards so you have a much better chance, but then much of the time you won't even see the flop, let alone all seven.

Taking that into consideration, you might easily go a million hands without ever getting a royal. A lot of the posts here are obviously exceptions to the norm, so if you've been playing a few years and never had one, don't think you're just not lucky.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM

I've had two in ~250k hands. The first one was vs the big blind and was only like a 7bb pot. The other one was against someone who had quad Q's so that one paid a little better.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 AM

I have had two. Once on Party way back when with the 10T of of diamonds, and once live at Commerce 3/6 about 8 months ago, with the K10 of hearts.

Both times, I flopped it. Didn't get paid off to much on Party (only playing 1/2LHE), but at Commerce, it was about a $150 pot due to a smaller flush and two pair going to battle against me.

I have seen a royal hit at our table about 5 times when playing live, at various places.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:46 AM

My first and only took 40k hands.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:13 AM

Been playing fairly regularly for 3 years; I'd say that between online & live, I've seen maybe 200k hands (very gross estimate- maybe off up to 30k hands or so).

Have only had one royal, it was online a couple of years ago. Have never had one in B&M play.

---------

Our local cardroom pays a pretty nice jackpot on royals; a separate for red & black. Interestingly, earlier this week the red royal was hit 3 times in 3 days...which sucked for the 2nd & 3rd guys to get it, since the jackpot was tiny (from having been hit the day before). The black royal remains increasingly large..I think it's up to almost 3k now. Which is awesome, because folks are chasing that thing all the way...coldcalling 3 bets preflop with hands like KTc and coldcalling multiple bets again on the flop if, say, the board is QQ5, but if one of the queens is a club. Sure, the jackpot size may actually make this correct, but meanwhile they're juicing the pot pretty good for those with real hands. I'm all for it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:12 PM

I got one when I first started with atd. I haven't had once since.