Default Re: Ask me anything about going through SERE

do they still do the barrel training?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Q: How are you advised to escape from captivity?
A: Through any means possible which are leagal. It's in the Code of Conduct to attempt to escape at every possible oppurtunity and to aid others to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kinds of things are legal? Could you kill a guard? I assume things like taking civilian hostages would not be allowed. Are there different rules for being in an "official" POW situation vs, say, being captured by a warlord?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are no longer a "combatant" once you are a POW. This is an important concept as it dictates how one is to be treated under the guidelines of the Geneva Convention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. If you escape, at what point in time to are you a "combatant" again. Does it just have to be the immediate restraint, like your particular cell? Or off prison property entirely? If you get out of prison complex, and you tag non-prison ground, could you then go back and kill a guard in an effort to free other prisoners? Seems like there could be a lot of grey area here.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're absolutely right about the potential for gray area. Technically, you fall under POW status still until repatriated. But realistically if you had the oppurtunity to do something which you believed would aid in your comrades escaping with you, I can't imagine you passing it up.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do they still do the barrel training?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yes, they still do that. I saw three guys (two of whom were 6ft plus and built) stuffed into one with water in it and it being sealed.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
describe in as much detail as possible what you would consider to be the most difficult environment that you could possibly survive in and why.

edit: if you have a specific location in mind that would be cool too

[/ QUOTE ]
OP,

Have you seen Survivorman on The Discovery Channel? If so, how would you rate his survival knowledge compared to yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

His knowledge is superior to mine. That is his primary specialty where as with me this is just one component of my training.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Would you describe the worst things that you ate during SERE? Also, what are the tests to determine if you can eat something?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you describe the worst things that you ate during SERE? Also, what are the tests to determine if you can eat something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst thing I've ever eaten would have to be a Bannana Slug. They "explode" in your mouth when you eat them. It's like have a sticky spider web and slime fill your mouth when you eat one.

The basic mesures for determining if you can eat something are a progressive series of tests. You start by rubbing the item on your skin (typically wrist/forearm), wait a few hours. If you do not develop a reaction then rub some on your lips. Again, if no reaction then chew some and spit it out, wait. If everything is stll good to go you then eat a small amount and wait a day. If you do not become ill or notice any reaction then you may eat a small portion and then if there are still no adverse effects, you may rely on that as a food source.

Also, your Evasion Chart outlines a large number of edible and poisinous plants.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:34 PM

This has the potential to be one of the coolest Ask Me threads.

Can you outline some of the things you were taught to survive interrogation?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM

what part of the military were you in when you went through SERE?
did you do the training along with any other branches/groups?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

specifically, what techniques do you use when faced with torture?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't go into exact technique detail but I will give some generic overview information.

At basic survival courses you are taught how to "deflect" questions. For instance, you don't just sit there like a stone and try to be a hard-ass; that is likely to just make them want to "test" you and beat you more. For instance, perhaps I'd bring up a medical issue I had that was preventing me from thinking clearly or I could be like "but I'm just a sergeant (or captain, soldier, whatever) and I just do what I'm told so they don't tell me anything about what's going on". You could also just pick a topic (real world someone being interrogated talked about the popcorn maker on his aircraft carrier for over a week to the Iraqis) and ramble on and on about it until they tell you to stop and then start another meaningless topic. At times it's kind of like doing a filibuster.