Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would win in a knife fight?
T-God 6 42.86%
Yogi The Bear 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Who do you want to win BCS bowls?

Buckeyes winning won't hurt UM recruiting hardly at all. They won in 2002 and we seem to have gotten some decent recruits in the following years.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Buckeye win is good for the conference and I think it actually helps Michigan's recruiting more than it hurts. Anything to make the rivalry bigger is a good thing, imo. I always root for Big Ten in OOC games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I root for them during the regular season as it obviously helps us. But at this point if we win we finish #2 or #3 anyway. And it doesn't really matter: if Michigan, Wiscy, and OSU all win their bowl games, the Big Ten still sucks in most people's minds (and they would have a point). And they'll suck next year and the year after. And the SEC will be the most amazing conference ever with 8 teams in the top 2 and OMG SOUTHERN SPEEEEEED!!! It doesn't really matter what happens.

For the record, I do think the SEC tends to be better than the Big Ten, and the BT is down this year. But my point is just that this gets way exaggerated most of the time.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no love for Oklahoma, I voted expecting to be on the popular side in each one, (OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Louisville, LSU) how can you guys want Boise to win? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue turf bitches, blue turf.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buckeyes winning won't hurt UM recruiting hardly at all. They won in 2002 and we seem to have gotten some decent recruits in the following years.

[/ QUOTE ]

My fear isn't that we suddenly fall of the face of the earth or anything. But maybe it gets OSU another Ohio kid we otherwise might have gotten. 2 NC's in his first 6 years and Tressel is on the path to Legend status. It might only matter on the margins, but that's enough to swing it for me. The emotional satisfaction of a Florida loss will last for a week; another NC may hurt us (even in a small way) for years.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why no love for Oklahoma, I voted expecting to be on the popular side in each one, (OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Louisville, LSU) how can you guys want Boise to win? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue turf bitches, blue turf.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the NCAA allowed it, I bet Oregon would one-up them and get field turf with fiberoptics so that when they score the field lights up.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't. Oklahoma needs to restore order and send Boise back where they belong.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 PM

Florida
USC
Oklahoma
Louisville
LSU
Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM

One point never discussed is that bowls are a bit unfair to Big 10 schools because they have to play in warm weather, which almost always favors the SEC/Big12/Pac10. But whatever, its not like people are going to admit they were wrong about the big 10 when UM/OSU/Wisconsin all win. I'm sure then it will be "they don't have to play tough teams week in and week out..."
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One point never discussed is that bowls are a bit unfair to Big 10 schools because they have to play in warm weather, which almost always favors the SEC/Big12/Pac10. But whatever, its not like people are going to admit they were wrong about the big 10 when UM/OSU/Wisconsin all win. I'm sure then it will be "they don't have to play tough teams week in and week out..."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true, but it's always been there, so you just sort of deal with it. It has less to do with the warm weather IMO than just having to travel, having fewer fans, etc.

Another problem is that match-ups get skewed based on agreements (BT5 v. Pac10 3 in the Sun Bowl, or at least it used to be) or b/c of at-large births. If the Big Ten gets 2 BCS bids and the SEC only gets one, then you have Big Ten 3 vs. SEC 2 and Big Ten 4 v. SEC 3 in the Outback/Citrus bowls. That hurts as well. Doesn't matter this year of course.

Wiscy is a real wild-card, as they've beaten a bunch of mediocre teams and lost to the one good one they played. They could be anywhere from #5 to #18 or so.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Florida, USC, Boise, Louisville, ND.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choices. Be prepared for disappointment my good intentioned buddy.