Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Deer Hunting (Question)

You wait for a 14 point buck to show up so you have something you can mount in your living room.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been deer hunting, but everyone I know does it.

My understanding is that if you go deer hunting and shoot a doe, you're a pud. Also, many places only let you harvest a doe by drawing a special tag, otherwise you can only legally shoot a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Alabama where I hunt, we have an out of balance deer population. The law allows for one deer of either sex per hunter per day. Spotted fawns are stricly illegal. Fawns are dropped in the spring/summer, by the time deer season rolls around they are called yearlings and have lost their spots. These deer might hang near their mother but are completely self sufficient. The doe to buck ratio is way out of wack something to the tune of 15:1 or so.

My club is managed by Auburn's Deer management program. They take all the jaw bones of the deer that we kill each year to give us a estimate of the health of our herd. We only kill bucks that are 6 or better. Last year we were told to take 40-50 does and only got 37 (5 personally).

Personally when I shoot does I generally take a head shot. That way all the meat is good, and you don't have to chase a gut shot dear through the woods.

I don't hunt to bag a trophy every year, I like being in the woods and I like to eat deer.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, many places only let you harvest a doe by drawing a special tag, otherwise you can only legally shoot a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on the local deer population. This year in Northern WI, doe tags were unlimited and $2 apiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said "many places".

And you could really kill as many doe as you wanted for two dollars apiece? That sounds crazy/unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

In IA I think you can get a normal tag, and then an extra doe tag. You can shoot either a doe or a buck with the regular tag, but only a doe with the doe tag. They're way overpopulated, and the idea is to try and cut down on their numbers. Shooting doe does this more effectivly.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, many places only let you harvest a doe by drawing a special tag, otherwise you can only legally shoot a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on the local deer population. This year in Northern WI, doe tags were unlimited and $2 apiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you could really kill as many doe as you wanted for two dollars apiece? That sounds crazy/unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

In IA I think you can get a normal tag, and then an extra doe tag. You can shoot either a doe or a buck with the regular tag, but only a doe with the doe tag. They're way overpopulated, and the idea is to try and cut down on their numbers. Shooting doe does this more effectivly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that makes sense I guess. Most of the people I know who hunt are only allowed to shoot certain bucks; it's almost unheard of for any of them to get a doe. Unfortunately I have to hear every hunting story, and all of them involve someone killing a buck.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wait for a 14 point buck to show up so you have something you can mount in your living room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered trying this, but then I met your mother. She prefers the recliner to the couch but whatever.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM

One shot, two kills.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The deer population in WI is pretty much out of control. Like, it's nearing the point where they should probably PAY hunters to kill as many doe as possible.