Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Fold trips on this flop? 72s in BB 3/6 Live

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to join the "Fold? Are you mad?!" gang.

Betting the flop makes sense for three reasons - you're probably winning, it may get checked round (giving your opponents a free card on a dangerous board) and a c/r screams trips in the bb (which makes it easier for your opponents to decide whether or not to call or raise you later on).

You should 3-bet the flop anyway, if you can, which will also suggest you've hit trips, but at least you've got more money into a pot you should win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much what I was going to say.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM

Well, I am with most of you, as I think a fold here is definately not the right move. As I said c/r was my original intention, which is probably a bad idea since I lose all deception. I don't think a c/r was a bad idea in the case that this flop gets checked through, because I think there is only a 5% chance of that at best. CO will almost always bet when checked to in late position, and especially on a board like this. So considering the lost deception from c/r, leading the flop seems like the best move. Leading would likely get 2 callers before the button raise (which I suppose I should have 3-bet), to face the field with 2-bets and likely end up in some dead money or very expensive draws. Anyway, when the action was coming around on the flop, and right before me went bet and raise, folding was one of the first questions I asked myself for these reasons:

1) I have no kicker

2) I am not nearly closing the action (although that is not usually necessary with trips, and not an issue at all if I had raised)

3) I started to consider how many cards will complete draws on the turn, or give my opponents redraws

These are the reasons folding was one of the first thoughts when it was 2 bets back to me even though I originally planned to incorrectly c/r. However, these could also be considered reasons why I should raise. But ultimately these were the reasons that convinced me to just cold call, instead of raising.

3/6 Live at the Hustler, 9 Players
Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the Big Blind
2 calls, 4 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero checks

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players, 5 SB)
Hero checks, 2 checks, CO bets, Button raises, Hero cold calls, 3 folds

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 5 BB)
Hero does not know where he is at but will not allow a free card, Button raises, Hero incorrectly(?) decides to call down

Edit: Also I remember just deciding to call the flop because I would retain all deception, and I hoped people nearly drawing dead with overcards would call for 2 bets but not for 3. However by not raising I am still allowing straight and flush draws to call profitably.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM

Yeah call down. Why are you worried about the free card NOW and not on flop? You should have 3-bet preflop and then lead the turn either way. If button caps flop you can just call down on the bigger streets. Here I guess you can donk/call and then c/c river. Hard to say where you are at without raising flop.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said c/r was my original intention, which is probably a bad idea since I lose all deception.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I saw you cold-call that flop, I would think there was a very good chance you had a seven. Possibly more likely than if you had reraised IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
1) I have no kicker

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you usually need a kicker with trips. There is another seven out there, however, I don't see why you would put one of you opponents specifically on one at the flop. Given your reads on the players, I think their play is quite standard for cards not involving a seven.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I am not nearly closing the action (although that is not usually necessary with trips, and not an issue at all if I had raised)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think this is more something you should think about when drawing. I think you very likely have the best hand here.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I started to consider how many cards will complete draws on the turn, or give my opponents redraws

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that there are likely draws out there give you more reason to raise. I think you should raise to knock out your opponents or make them pay to draw out on you.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM

And if your opponent does hit a straight or flush on the turn, you have a big redraw.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM

well i would just call and see the turn, and how the action goes again.... if its checked to the button and he bets out, id prob call, and see what happens there..
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well i would just call and see the turn, and how the action goes again.... if its checked to the button and he bets out, id prob call, and see what happens there..

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really hard to win at this game when you don't try to get money in the pot with your good hands...