Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Overcards KQ

[ QUOTE ]

Superstandard preflop 3-bet...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? We're already HU, villain isn't folding, we're not a clear favorite, and we're out of position. I'm willing to be convinced, but I'm not seeing it.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"check fold the flop"? wha wha what? no way man, we could easily be good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I put it as a choice -- bet out for a steal, or check-fold. Mix it up. If you automatically bet on all these hands, you'll bleed yourself white.

The problem with these hands is that when you are good, they fold right away and you win a small pot. If THEY are good, they take you for a ride on the expensive streets. Win a little, lose a lot.

Isn't it in Theory of Poker where Sklansky describes good poker as trading your small mistakes for their big mistakes? It's often better to fold early when you don't know where you're at. This way you make the mistake of folding some better hands on the early, small pots. Get obstreperous on the more important pots.

By all means, snatch some pots from early position. But have other plays to, otherwise they'll catch on.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bill,so far this is your advice on every hand where the hero/ine has missed the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read all my sentences, not just every other, particularly the one that suggests betting OR check-folding.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM

i read the seven word dependent clause that i guess you think makes your post a defense (to any extent) of betting here but felt it was overwhelmed by the other paragraphs advocating "retreating" etc.

sorry if i misrepresented your thoughts, but most of your responses sounds very similar after we've missed.

no big deal, though, pm to continue the conversation.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
bbbushu
Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 PM

Five-handed game. Raise from UTG does NOT mean monster, it means 'better than usual.' We have no reads so it could be just about anything from a low pp to Ax all the way up to good old AA. He probably doesn't have AK or AQ which he would cap with preflop (usually). Since you put in the 3 bet you need to lead the flop. Turn is murkier, c/f isn't bad but I hate to give up the initiative like that, I would rather bet out and try to take down pot right there. Assuming player is decent he has you beat if he raises for sure and most likely you are beat if he calls but you could outdraw him on the river.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 PM

i wouldnīt bet turn here without a read. I donīt like the idea of putting a bet in and then folding when we may have the outs to continue.

But thatīs no logic

If you assume that villain doesnīt fold ace hi on the flop but does on the turn, then itīs an easy bet.
Canīt really assume this but these conditions donīt need to be true that often (4.25-1)
Thing is: both conditions need to be true.

And then thereīs metagame. and a few suited hands that fold or let you win at showdown.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Superstandard preflop 3-bet...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? We're already HU, villain isn't folding, we're not a clear favorite, and we're out of position. I'm willing to be convinced, but I'm not seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, if you DO 3-bet PF, the best line might be check-call, check-raise provided that no A comes flop or turn.
SK
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM

wtf? This hand is fine... why post this? Completely standard.

wow this hand got more discussion then I could ever imagine.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 AM

i'd just call preflop.