Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Don\'t Give Up?

8BB is a fairly big pot in this game... and obviously its gonna get bigger
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Don\'t Give Up?

If I understand "keep myself alive" correctly, I think you have more of a chance of doing so by checking than by betting.

"they are more likely to remember that I was the PFR and recognize the strength that my lead into 8 people represents."

How many of them called that strengthy lead? How many of them cold-alled your strengthy preflop raise?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 AM

Default results

I don't think it's a big surprise that I won the hand, he thought for about 20 seconds and folded.

But you are the only person to really go into why the flop bet is bad, and you say you are more likely to stay alive with a flop check. In my mind I am throwing my hand away by checking - if I bet I protect the pot because I am continuing to represent something good and then a raise behind me has meaning. If I check it is open season to anyone with a pair (and I think there are several pp's out there) to fight for this pot. No way I will be able to call when it comes back to me.

Now, am I saying that it is right to lead into an 8-way pot from EP with no pair-no draw? No. My game is a lot more Bart Starr than Dan Fouts, but if Bart Starr runs the flea flicker he is going to really embarrass a defense. Once. I felt like this was my time.

I thank you - someone whom I believe plays a similar game to me - for pointing out that this is a flea flicker and not Jim Taylor running behind Forest Gregg (not looking this up on the internet - how'd I do?).
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: results

I have just a bit of experience in the 1-2 at Commerce. In the 60-120, anyone with a pocket pair above a 6 will often raise that flop. They'll raise it with 7-5. When you say it's open season for anyone with a pocket pair to fight for the pot, well, they're going to fight for the pot with a pocket pair regardless. So I'm not convinced their raise means the "something" you think it does when you make the continuation bet. If they were particularly passive, as it appears they were, then I suppose the line has more merit.

You're right about my Bart Starr game. And I understand we Starrs (as opposed to stars) sometimes can take advantage of that image these situations. But I prefer to do it with less than the entire defense still involved in the hand.

BTW, I was once in an elevator with Jim Brown and Jim Taylor. Brown was an Adonis, tall, immaculately dressed. Taylor was an apartment building.