Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: pick a degree for me

Is the Canadian secondary school system more like the American system or the European/British system? I know in Europe you basically have to choose a career path much earlier than you do in American liberal arts universities, so the OP might not be dealing the the same sort timetables that most Americans do.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is the Canadian secondary school system more like the American system or the European/British system? I know in Europe you basically have to choose a career path much earlier than you do in American liberal arts universities, so the OP might not be dealing the the same sort timetables that most Americans do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, did not think of this.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 AM

if you can then by all means go for schulich
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shanerr no offense but you sound like a tool, college is about meeting new people and then partying as hard as you can with them for a few years before you get stuck grinding out the rst of your life at some job you hate, not getting ready to grind the rest of your life out.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i have this knee-jerk reaction to think of ibankers as tools. i guess there is nothing wrong with deciding all you want to do in life is make lots of money and work all the time if that's what you want to do, i just think college is more enjoyable for those who study something they love and don't get sucked into a major because they want to make lots of money. you can always find a way to do well for yourself if you really like your job, and you can always go to grad-school (or business school or whatever) afterwards for a year or so to pick up the stuff for ibanking you didn't get in undergrad. and if you decide you really love ibanking then go ibank your brains out.

but yeah i'm certainly not going to be laying on my death-bed wishing i'd worked more or whatever, i'll be regretting not having sex with that chick in college or having wasted my life doing something i hate just so i can make money
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM

I see you're Canadian and interested in business.
I'd go and study whatever it takes to get Mintzberg as my Prof [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yes, true statement about European Universities. Basically you make the decision before you start and then only minor adjustments.
But now we switched to a Bachelor/Master system so it might change.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ibanking is no fun, or so I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on...
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM

What would be a good degree that requires little math and doesn't take too long to complete, and can lead to a decent career with decent pay?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 AM

premed.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 AM

finance if you want to do ibanking - its a shoein
econ is also fine but finance would give you an edge over an econ major

not sure how the canadian banks recruit and how these schools compare to target colleges

engineering/econ/finance are OK for S&T

take all of this with a grain of salt cause i am also still in college

to answer ed8383 question: qualitative econ could work or maybe poli sci/international relation but all of the above would work in a vacuum.
no job will pay a lot of money straight out of undergrad except for IBD and than consulting coming in distant second.
decent career and decent pay is VERY VERY vague....depends on what you want and what you can do and what will make you happy.
A public relations person or marketing head at a Fortune 500 probably makes around the same if not more than an MD in Banking (very rough comparison) but that doesn't require any finance/math/analytical background.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shanerr no offense but you sound like a tool, college is about meeting new people and then partying as hard as you can with them for a few years before you get stuck grinding out the rst of your life at some job you hate, not getting ready to grind the rest of your life out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that makes me a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am a tool also. But do tools care and all that? I am not hip to your possibly derogative terms?