Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: How often do you leave a great game due to a poor seat?

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you leave a great game due to a poor seat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frequently.

But while I'm there, I tighten up my raising standards, and loosen my limping standards.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 PM

I have to go to work now, so I don't have time for a lengthy reply.

When I see a bunch of weak players lined up in a row, I think 'FOOD!' I jokingly call the seat to the right of those players the 'appetizer seat'. The guys to the left of the players are isolating them, and you get included in the isolation, so you have to pay two or three small bets to see the flop when one of the tight players has a real hand. The rest of the time, you are playing drawing hands out of position.

The only thing that makes it tolerable, is if one of the loose players is very aggressive, and going to give you lots of checkraise, and threebet opportunities.

If there is a short waiting list for the game, I give up my seat, and reenter from the list, hoping to come in with better position. If I don't get a better position when I come back, I pass, and get on the list again.

meantime, I am playing in other games, where I have a good seat. There are so many games on the internet, there isn't any reason to play from a bad seat.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM

I have a hard time leaving a table like this even if I find myself down 30BB. Even if you don't have position on them you will still win more than your fair share off of them. Basically I am calling variance.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I fully realized when I was writing that reply that nothing I said was going to be news to you. Just figured I'd write it all out for the huddled masses of lurkers. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Had a near-perfect example of this come up tonight. 6max table with myself, 3 good TAGs, one loose/passive, and one absolute maniac. The TAGs were all to my right, maniac directly to my left, and LP on the other side of him.

Long story short, in the about 90 mins it took for the loose/passive to bust out & the maniac to leave, I took about 35 BBs off them. And I didn't run all that good.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but you're still better off with a bad seat at a table full of fish than a good one at a table full of sharks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this is like one of those statements about lowering taxes raising revenues, sure its true sometimes and its not true other times. The statement itself is pointless without more information.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just figured I'd write it all out for the huddled masses of lurkers. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM

I gotta admit, I am REALLY confused here. I normally WANT the turkeys on my left and the tougher players on my right. 4 Holiday Turkeys is a NICE Thanksgiving dinner. I know the game will get turned into No Fold 'Em Hold 'Em and act accordingly.

I know you online guys can table jump all the time with all kinds of stats about your opposition. But in my live world, I LOVE to play at this kind of table. What really confuses my is that Chesspain, whose opinions I respect, wants to abandon this Thanksgiving feast.

What am I missing? I REALLY don't see the problem. Maybe I need the problem described in REALLY SIMPLE terms, because I do not get it.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM

I hate it too, you raise UTG and get 4 callers. Might be good EV-wise, but the variance is horrible. Then they procede to make all kinds of plays on you, crazy bluffs and slowplays and all the time you're OOP on all of them... bleh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might be good EV-wise,

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Do you hate $?. This is the prototypical table on which SSHE was built! And this is the Small Stakes LHE Forum.

Sat. I was up 60+BB in 4 hrs. on this kind of table. Sun. It took me almost 3 hrs. to find a winning hand and I was down almost 20BB at that point and still wound up 10BB+ for the day. Thank GOD for all those MISTAKES MADE BY OTHERS, even though they can and will chase you down (sometimes. not all the time).
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Money moves to the left. You want the most money that is going to move to be on your right, so you can collect it.