Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Jc7c on button

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not happy calling a raise with this hand, but the price is right; I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only think so. I've made this point before, and it was not well-recieved. Pot odds are less important preflop in many cases, such as this one. In this case I think you should fold. You think you have the odds to call, but built in to that assumption is that you will get sufficient action when you hit your flush. But if you get sufficient action when you hit your flush, it can only be from a higher flush, nearly to the exclusion of all else. This is also why you should probably fold even to the limp, but that's closer. Fold to the raise. The pot odds don't matter here.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not happy calling a raise with this hand, but the price is right; I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only think so. I've made this point before, and it was not well-recieved. Pot odds are less important preflop in many cases, such as this one. In this case I think you should fold. You think you have the odds to call, but built in to that assumption is that you will get sufficient action when you hit your flush. But if you get sufficient action when you hit your flush, it can only be from a higher flush, nearly to the exclusion of all else. This is also why you should probably fold even to the limp, but that's closer. Fold to the raise. The pot odds don't matter here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, depending on the table, you could get a wholes bunch of action from lone Qc, Kc, or Ac. However, that's not the point. The point is that there are too many cases where you implied odds aren't good enough or your reverse implied odds are terrible.

How about calling with these hands:

J9s
J10o
?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM

JTo and J9s are more able to make the nuts. I'd probably come along with those.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 PM

This is an excellent point I hadn't considered. The cost of being wrong in NL is much higher than limit. Any flop I like with this hand will probably kill the action except for 2 pair. And 2 pair might also cost me my stack.