Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Boston Red Sox Off-Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I totally forgot about Hinske. I think between Hinske and Pena, they are fine in RF. If they keep Manny, I don't see them making a play for an OF. Their apparent interest in Drew makes me think they are serious about moving Manny. I'd rather have him here, even with all his off the field issues, but it looks like they are finally getting real offers for him and are ready to move him. I also think Murphy is ready to take on the utility OF role, although they have Kapler as backup if that doesn't happen. Bottom line, I think we either see Drew and no Manny, or status quo in the OF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kapler isnt signed with the team and even though I like him alot I don't think they should sign him..
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM

The names thrown around in this article about the Red Sox really trying to trade Manny Ramirez scares me unless the Red Sox are planning on moving those players for a bigger bat..While trading Manny would provide us with some more payroll flexibility, JD Drew and Julio Lugo cant compare to the numbers Manny put up or provide any type of the same protection he provides Ortiz...Anyone have any scenarios they have seen that they actually like?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677627
Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 PM

It looks likely that the Sox move Manny for pitching and add Drew in the outfield. Drew is fine by me if he can stay healthy, he's a downgrade offensively from Manny but Manny is going sooner or later and they'll never get as much for him as they will right now. I just hope they send Manny to somebody silly enough to sign him until he's 45 so the Yankees never pick him up.

Hopefully they get some credible relief in the Manny deal and/or sign somebody, so the only thing that really worries me is the shortstop situation. Lugo doesn't thrill me but he's probably the best we're going to do in that department.

Whoever said Wily Mo is better off in center field: LOL dude.

A best case lineup for the Sox, not too bad really:

1. Lugo SS
2. Youks 1B
3. Ortiz DH
4. Drew LF
5. Pena RF
6. Tek C
7. Lowell 3B
8. Pedroia/Cora 2B
9. Crisp CF

The big question marks are whether Tek and Lowell have anything left and whether Pena and Crisp get back on track with their development after some injuries and disappointments last year. I am pretty optimistic about Wily Mo and Coco, and having Hinske around is nice. Tek worries me. I like Lowell but I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant drop from last season.

All in all if the Sox can stay healthy and get a little bit lucky with the young guys and D Mats, they look pretty tough. It seems like Theo has more of a plan right now than they did last year at this time (obviously) so I'm feeling pretty ok.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The names thrown around in this article about the Red Sox really trying to trade Manny Ramirez scares me unless the Red Sox are planning on moving those players for a bigger bat..While trading Manny would provide us with some more payroll flexibility, JD Drew and Julio Lugo cant compare to the numbers Manny put up or provide any type of the same protection he provides Ortiz...Anyone have any scenarios they have seen that they actually like?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677627

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few bigger bats than Manny's, and none of them are for trade. Dealing him for pitching/utility depth and replacing him with Jonathan David Drew would be a fine play.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you Red Sox fans are so lucky their management are much more rational than you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM

I really hope we don't move Manny.

If we can keep Schill-Mats-Paps-Beckett-Wakefield healthy and improve upon our Bullpen, I think we can have a championship team.

It's disgusting how great our rotation has looked at the beginning of the last few years just to hit some disappointments and injuries. Lets pray for a solid rotation this year.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 AM

re: Mats, this is from an article in today's Globe

"If the Red Sox don't sign Matsuzaka, he returns to the Lions and could become a free agent following the 2007 season. To avoid that, the Lions could reduce the ($51m) bid to help the sides reach a deal."

has anyone else heard of this? the bid could be reduced? if so that is quite an angle for the team to pull - bid high to get exclusive rights, and then attempt to reduce the price you paid.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
re: Mats, this is from an article in today's Globe

"If the Red Sox don't sign Matsuzaka, he returns to the Lions and could become a free agent following the 2007 season. To avoid that, the Lions could reduce the ($51m) bid to help the sides reach a deal."

has anyone else heard of this? the bid could be reduced? if so that is quite an angle for the team to pull - bid high to get exclusive rights, and then attempt to reduce the price you paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very interesting I have never heard anything of that before but i highly doubt thats likely to happen as other teams, I feel, would be in an uproar..
Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 PM

There is a similar comment in ESPN.com's story.

In his meetings with Seibu officials, Lucchino said he discussed the possibility of the Red Sox and the Lions forming a long-term "working relationship."

Such a relationship could help facilitate a deal if contract talks stall. Media reports have said the sides are far apart in early negotiations.

If Seibu reduced the $51.1 bid price so much that the team which finished second now has a higher bid, there should be quite an uproar.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a similar comment in ESPN.com's story.

In his meetings with Seibu officials, Lucchino said he discussed the possibility of the Red Sox and the Lions forming a long-term "working relationship."

Such a relationship could help facilitate a deal if contract talks stall. Media reports have said the sides are far apart in early negotiations.

If Seibu reduced the $51.1 bid price so much that the team which finished second now has a higher bid, there should be quite an uproar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure if Seibu does in fact kick back some money there will be some type of rule to prevent this from happening.. Even so the Red Sox where said to be about $10 million higher than the Mets, who were supposedly in 2nd. If they could pick up even $5 million that would easily help close the gap in the negotiations...