Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Baldur\'s Gate

[ QUOTE ]
Torment >>>>> NWN2 >> BG2 >>>>> BG1 >>>>>>>>>> NWN > ID

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how good is NWN2? I was thinking about getting it because I heard the storyline is pretty good, but I also heard it has a lot of real tedious sections, although almost all games of this type do.

Is the game really that sweet?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm also wondering about that. How does NWN2 compare to the original? I thought the original was pretty lacking - extremely linear game in general, no real secrets/exploring/significant side quests, not very challenging and annoyingly low level cap that you will reach before beating the game.

I didn't even consider NWN2 after playing part 1.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also wondering about that. How does NWN2 compare to the original? I thought the original was pretty lacking - extremely linear game in general, no real secrets/exploring/significant side quests, not very challenging and annoyingly low level cap that you will reach before beating the game.

I didn't even consider NWN2 after playing part 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the original really sucked, although the expansion Hordes of the Underdark was decent.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:29 PM

Only complaint about NWN 2 is that it's kind of a hog. I've finished it through once and was very pleased with it.

Saying it's better than BG II is a stretch, however.

Have to remember BG is really old now too.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Ech. NWN2 doesn't compare to BG2. The OC was botched, again. I can see how some would like it better than the NWN OC, but I prefer NWN. At least it had the elements of a good plot, however much it failed to bring them together. NWN2 didn't have anything going for it in the first place (although I hear the experience is more satisfying as an evil character - I have trouble believing it, but I'll be going through again when school's out).

NWN2 is also slow but graphically primitive, and the toolset doesn't seem like a huge step up either. There are a variety of bugs, and the play experience is arguably a step down from NWN, which was arguably a step down from BG2. The number of models is also small.

Probably patches + expansion + modders will fix all this, but definitely an overall disappointment.