Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: RIP Bo Schembechler

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, makes that song about Ted Ginn by "the Dead Schembechlers" seem inappropriate now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They put a statement up on their website, explaining the name and offering condolences:

"BO SCHEMBECHLER: OSU'S MOST VALIANT FOE: The band is crushed to learn of the death of Bo Schembechler. We named this band after Coach Schembechler to honor him as the face of Wolverine football. We have never wished ill will upon him in any way and have always wished him the best. When we learned that Bo had seen our web site and was amused by it we were delighted. We were simply delighted. He said to those with him as he read it, "See, I still matter in Columbus!" That may have been the greatest understatement in football history. We believe that he took the band's name as the compliment that it was meant as and that he was flattered by it. We wish to extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to his family. We are truly sorry for their loss. "

http://deadschembechlers.com/deadschembechlers_002.htm
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 PM

In 1987, Indiana beat Michigan 14-10 at home in a driving rainstorm. We were obviously stunned and amazed that we had beaten Schembechler. Not Michigan, Schembechler. Great coach.

RIP
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 PM

Two things if Michigan wins:

1. I believe in ghosts.

2. One of the greatest college football stories ever.

Everything I've heard points to a very nice man, r.i.p.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Let me be the first buckeye in this thread to say RIP Bo. Let me also remind the Buckeye bandwagoners that Bo once coached at OSU, recieved his masters here, and hails from the Akron suburb of Barberton, so please have a little respect.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM

What a shame. I'm sure if you told Bo a few months ago that he was going to pass in November, the first thing he would have asked for is to last until November 19.

Rest in peace, coach.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be the first buckeye in this thread to say RIP Bo. Let me also remind the Buckeye bandwagoners that Bo once coached at OSU, recieved his masters here, and hails from the Akron suburb of Barberton, so please have a little respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't worry. Everywhere I've seen nothing but class from Buckeyes. They recognize that Bo, along with Woody, is the reason this rivalry is as intense as it is. You loved to hate him, as we did with Woody, and it is precisely for that reason that we mourn the passing of that era.

Not nearly as much class from ndnation.com, although since that is easily the worst message board in the history of the internet, that is to be expected.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:23 PM

The Free Press is reporting the Dead Schembechlers are going to disband after tonight's performance, donating the proceeds to a charity of the Schembechlers' choice. Very classy. Never really listened to them but I find their schtick hilarious. Maybe they could just change to the Drunken Mo's?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM

My old man was a Notre Dame grad, so growing up in the 80s I was taught to hate Schembechler. I feel bad about that today because of all the nice things people are saying.

As for all this "biggest game ever" hype about tomorrow (third time we've heard that this year if you count the Rose Bowl), I don't know if it's even the biggest in their rivalry. ESPN was airing a game in the 70s with Bo, Hayes, and Archie Griffin. Both teams were undefeated and it ended up being a 10-10 tie. The game seemed to have tremendous gravity to it, in no small reason because of the coaches, and makes me wish Woody Hayes hadn't whacked that kid so their rivalry could have continued long enough for me to remember it.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My old man was a Notre Dame grad, so growing up in the 80s I was taught to hate Schembechler. I feel bad about that today because of all the nice things people are saying.

As for all this "biggest game ever" hype about tomorrow (third time we've heard that this year if you count the Rose Bowl), I don't know if it's even the biggest in their rivalry. ESPN was airing a game in the 70s with Bo, Hayes, and Archie Griffin. Both teams were undefeated and it ended up being a 10-10 tie. The game seemed to have tremendous gravity to it, in no small reason because of the coaches, and makes me wish Woody Hayes hadn't whacked that kid so their rivalry could have continued long enough for me to remember it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing about the 10 Year War was that the loser wouldn't go to a bowl game. This year the loser is going to at minimum the Rose Bowl. Imagine being the Buckeyes, being a dominant number 1 all year, losing this game on a last-second field goal...and sitting at home in January.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Last night I went to the graves of Fielding Yost and Bob Ufer with several other students and alumni, as reported in the Detroit Free Press. The event itself was quite surreal and I was taken aback just being there in the drak of the night, standing upon the graves of two Michigan greats at the highest point on the UofM campus. It was absolutely errie to wake up this morning around noon and read my email to see "Bo Schembechler 1929-2006" in the subject of my most recent message.

This morning's events have obviously been unsettling but if there's anything good that will come from the passing of Bo, that will make me look back and smile, is that he will now be remembered for passing away on the eve of this game, with the media paying him the respect he probably would not have recieved 4 or 5 months down the line.

Goodbye, Bo.