Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Poker Etiquette Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not a question of etiquette. "Cards speak."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... If the dealer is a twit and missed the winning hand someone should say something.

[/ QUOTE ]

And worst case scenario, you say nothing, someone else does after the pot is pushed, then everyone wants to go to camera, reconstruct the pot size...

slows down the game.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Cards speak. And you should point it out if the dealer misses it - whether you're in the hand or not. This is a game integrity issue and affects all the players.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM

i'm not sure if you mean he tabled the hand or not. there is a different scenario where the guy will hold up the losing (i.e. winning) hand where you can see it, but the dealer can't before mucking. i guess this is kind of like showing a few people how he got screwed, but then mucks b/c he doesn't want the guy with KJ to pick up any extra info about how he plays as to not allow him to use it against him later in the 5/10 game.

in my scenario, you should NOT say anything. if the guy doesn't want to just table his hand like most should, then he'll learn his lesson later on when he's like, "oh wait a sec, i just mucked a straight....crap, i'm a moran for not just showing my hand."
it's not your place to teach him that lesson when you're not involved when another guy would have won a pot otherwise.
however, if the hand is tabled, then you should always point out the winning hand if the dealer misses it. the winning hand should get the money b/c that's what the rules say.

p.s. i'm the idiot who has mucked a winner for no good reason. i have also seen people threatened to get the [censored] kicked out of them for pointing out someones straight, flush, etc. before they were about to muck.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure if you mean he tabled the hand or not. there is a different scenario where the guy will hold up the losing (i.e. winning) hand where you can see it, but the dealer can't before mucking. i guess this is kind of like showing a few people how he got screwed, but then mucks b/c he doesn't want the guy with KJ to pick up any extra info about how he plays as to not allow him to use it against him later in the 5/10 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's a horse of a different color altogether.

--- Same pink $5/$10 game when I'm playing it's pretty common for players to constantly show others next to them how bad they got bricked on the river based on first four/five cards, then toss 'em in the muck. I do my best to "keep a poker face" when their opponent has no low and they're showing me that they missed the flush and made an ugly 86 lo for half the pot.

Tabled hands... announce the winner.
Moron who can't read a board and doesn't know he actually did hit an out for some part of the pot but doesn't want to table his hand, keep your mouth shut.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Moron who can't read a board and doesn't know he actually did hit an out for some part of the pot but doesn't want to table his hand, keep your mouth shut.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if it's a home game and he's your buddy... wait 'till a good hand-and-a-half later and say something to the effect of "dooomus, you had the low!"

And watch him go on uber-tilt and ship a rack or two.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing in a $5/$10 limit hold'em game when the following came up:
A player went all in preflop, two other players contested the side-pot, I was not involved. At showdown the board was K X X J T and one of the players showed K J, the other mucked. Then the all in player threw his hand open with a frustrated sigh and shaking his head, showing AQ, indicating a fold. I was about to tell him he had a straight, when K J was nice enough to point that out to him and the side pot went to the all in guy.

In retrospect, if KJ had kept silent, I wonder if I would have been wrong to mention anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not an etiquette question; it's an ethics one. Either you withhold information, and passively allow a wrong to take place, or you correct a mistake, and restore order. When in doubt put yourself in their shoes, and the answer becomes obvious. I can live with a douche being pissed at me because I didn't allow him to steal a pot.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not an etiquette question; it's an ethics one. Either you withhold information, and passively allow a wrong to take place, or you correct a mistake, and restore order. When in doubt put yourself in their shoes, and the answer becomes obvious. I can live with a douche being pissed at me because I didn't allow him to steal a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it is an ethical consideration. If you are playing a football game and your guy is running down the sidelines, scores a touchdown but you clearly saw that he stepped out of bounds would you tell the ref that your own teammate stepped out of bounds? Absolutely not and no one would fault you for not saying anything. The refs get paid to track that and the dealers get paid to push the pot to the winning hand. Period.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it is an ethical consideration. If you are playing a football game and your guy is running down the sidelines, scores a touchdown but you clearly saw that he stepped out of bounds would you tell the ref that your own teammate stepped out of bounds? Absolutely not and no one would fault you for not saying anything. The refs get paid to track that and the dealers get paid to push the pot to the winning hand. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if a clerk hands you change for a $100 instead of the $10 you gave her, you don't say a thing. Nice guy.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the dealers get paid to push the pot to the winning hand. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The dealers shall assist in the reading of hands."

Everyone that sits at a poker table has an obligation to police the game and see that the pot is pushed to the winner.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if a clerk hands you change for a $100 instead of the $10 you gave her, you don't say a thing. Nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples and oranges. To be precise it should be: If a clerk hands a $100 bill instead of a $10 bill to the biker dude in front of you.

My feeling is that if I'm not involved in a pot then I don't speak up. The players and the dealer can figure it out or if they can't then they shouldn't be playing at that limit to begin with.