Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: My son wants to get laid

give him some condoms let him have sex with his GF if he wants to. sounds like he's going to anyway.

PS: what does a driver's license have to do with anything?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM

If you try and stop them, they're just gonna hate you (that's way too strong, but I can't think of a good synonym) and do it anyway.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 PM

Give them a little privacy. They are both almost adults, after all. Just make sure your son is responsbile and understanding, that's all you can do as a parent. After that, the best thing to do is trust & respect your son.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM

What does this have to do with poker? More importantly, why are you asking for advice on raising your kids in a poker forum? What's really going on?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Your son will get laid. There is nothing you can do about it. Better in his room than in the car. Make sure he uses a condom.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Man invented God to scare kids out of having sex. Use this great invention to your advantage.

"YOU'RE GOING TO GO TO HELL, BOY!"

Seriously, just make sure he knows that he absolutely must use a condom every single time, and if he doesn't have one then don't do it. Keep him thinking about the consequences of a screw-up. You really can't stop him from getting it on.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 PM

When I had just turned 18 and was dating a 16yo my mom had an open door policy. What this created was a situation where we would be hooking up whenever we had the chance because we both knew our houses were not an option unless the parents were gone. Oh, and when my Mom would leave to go out, it was on. Looking back on this now I think it actualy lead to an accelerated sexual progression within our relationship. So basicaly, you cannot stop them from hooking up and in all likely hood you are making it even more fun by outlawing it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 PM

I guess it all depends on whether you believe pre-martial sex is wrong and what values you want to pass on to your son. Those are your choices. I'm not saying that he won't do his own thing either way, but many parents like to at least attempt to pass on their values/morals to their children. You, however, might not find pre-marital sex wrong or unwise.

The thing I would consider is that even if you feel it's ok, her parents obviously don't and by you doing anything to help out "the cause", like allowing closed doors, buying him condoms etc, could really cause some hot water for your son and the girlfriend with her folks. If they think that you are helping, encouraging, or even just allowing something like this to go on, they could very easily get very upset and forbid the girl from seeing your son. Granted this doesn't mean it will stop them, but it just makes the situation much harder and puts you and your wife in a very odd situation with her parents.

Just my 2 cents. I've seen that exact scenario play out and it was ugly and lasted for years.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:32 PM

If he's feeling controlled and frustrated, that means that he still cares about the rules that you set out for him, which is a good thing. When he starts acting nonchalant about the whole thing is when you'll know that they've found a way to go behind your back.

Take advantage of this and level with him now, before he completely stops caring about your rules. It's not your responsibility to enforce her parent's rules - if the girl wants to disobey her folks, that her choice (and your son's, somewhat), not yours.

Talk to him honestly about this stuff, but for god's sake let him close the door. Maybe they'll get freaky, maybe they'll just smooch, or maybe they just want to have a private conversation. In 2 years this kid will be a legal adult and will be completely out of your control. It's time to trust him with a little bit of privacy in his own room.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 PM

OP- Do you remember what you were like when you were 16? A 16 year old male is having sex no matter how hard you try to stop him. Loosen up and let things take there toll. Just make sure he knows about safe sex practices. Open door or closed door, its going to happen. Its better to have it happen now, at a safe place instead of two months from now in the back of his car or someone elses house.

Besides, what do you think is going to happen 2 years from now when he goes to college? If you hold him back now, he is going to go crazy once he gets his freedom.