Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Re: winning at .01/02 is it possible

Lissen to 'em talk smack about where I play...

I'd prefer if you believe the "virtually impossible" line -- ssts -- 'cuz I don't need any 2+2ers learning the ropes at the same tables I'm at. (But you're at UB, so we'll be ok...)

It is odd that people are really adverse to parsimony poker -- besides the obvious reason that it takes so much extra grinding to get up to the next level. There is something about the relative value of money being so low that it attracts all sorts of bad players -- many, many of whom will play down any two.

I've been at the penny tables for about 5K hands and have learned not to try to be fancy. Don't slowplay. Play insanely tight when OOP. Count to five before slashing at your all-in bar to make/call a bet -- chances are if they push you're either beat, or you'll get a chance to redeem yourself on another hand. And value bet, value bet, value bet...

Personally, I had to multi-table just to stay out of trouble -- meaning playing too many hands out of sheer boredom at FR...

And FWIW -- Stars has a 05$NL table if you feel the need to level up sooner...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM

UB 2nl is hilarious. Just bet when you have a good hand, and people will be eager to give money to you. Most of it just involves slamming the bet pot button, and them hitting it too. There's going to be a lot of random suckouts because you might see 7 to a flop in a raised pot, but overall you'll be laughing when the favorites hold.

Their software is annoying though, as it does not automatically save hand histories-- you need an external tool like Ultimatehistory or GT+, both free, to do it.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM

.01/.02 is like watching cartoons.

If you can't win at this level you need to find something else to do with your time. As mentioned, it is a long grind to the next limit and if you start out at this level, you will have a good grasp of the basics when you get to $10nl.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:56 PM

Just did some $5nl grinding today (for a bonus, and was running bad at $25nl so needed a break). And although I was down 2 buyins in the beginning, after a bit of tweaking (as in less raising, no bluffing), I ended up with +$20 for today.

So yeah it is possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I did it last month and I did it again this month!

Hmm I suddenly realize we are talking about $2nl, but I guess the same rules apply. Damn I'm the destroyer of $5nl donkeys!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM

I just finished my first session for the day at $2 and these guys can't wait to give you their loot.

My AA raises and K4o has to see a flop. He dumped his whole stack when the flop came K high. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My set of 7's raises the flop and bottom pair has to push all in. Another player looses his stack. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think playing tight and ABC poker is the best way to come out ahead at this level. Its only pennies but Im up $12 after 2k hands. $5 is coming up quick where, as already mentioned, the play is just as bad. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 PM

It's easy to win at .01/.02.
I built my roll there from .20 up to $100. (Free SNGs payed .05.) At $100, i went to the .02/.04 games till i got to $200.

Rules for beating that limit. Play nothing but pairs and AK. Never bluff. Value bet, if you ever get reraised on any street, push all in with good hands. They can not bring themselves to beleive they are beat. AA, KK, QQ, and AK are for HUGE raises preflop (i used to bet 5-10 times the BB with these at full tables). And if anyone reraises, all in preflop. DO NOT GET FANCY.

When you are still an overpair, or if AK hits, Bet the pot until it's all in.

All other pairs, limp in (even early Pos, because they are going to let you see cheap flops, and still pay you off when you hit your set)

Miss your set, fold.

IF YOU TRY TO BLUFF AT THIS LIMIT, YOU WILL LOSE.

You can not play poker at this level, you can only play the two cards in front of you, and assume everyone is a moron and is willing to call with jack high.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rules for beating that limit. Play nothing but pairs and AK. Never bluff. Value bet, if you ever get reraised on any street, push all in with good hands. They can not bring themselves to believe they are beat. AA, KK, QQ, and AK are for HUGE raises preflop (i used to bet 5-10 times the BB with these at full tables). And if anyone reraises, all in preflop. DO NOT GET FANCY.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about suited connectors? Do you drop those like a hot rock even from the button?

I've been using a standard 4xBB + limbers raise for PP and anything else I want to play. Is that perhaps too small? I've been wondering if 4xBB is too small for this level.

[ QUOTE ]

All other pairs, limp in (even early Pos, because they are going to let you see cheap flops, and still pay you off when you hit your set)

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise my standard raise with PPs especially from LP. Is this too much for this level? (6Max BTW)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gads! This is so true. I still try and c-bet when I miss and was the PRFer, but it is a waste of time and chips. Most of the time they will call you to the river and you just wasted your c-bet or whatever.

I've been playing $5NL 6Max to get my feet wet with NL Cash, but I'm rolled for $10NL, and almost $25NL (I have like 17 buy-ins at 25NL). Is the play going to be any "better" at 10NL or is it pretty much the same as 5NL?

Meaning: Could I learn just as much at 5NL as I could at 10NL for less $$?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rules for beating that limit. Play nothing but pairs and AK. Never bluff. Value bet, if you ever get reraised on any street, push all in with good hands. They can not bring themselves to believe they are beat. AA, KK, QQ, and AK are for HUGE raises preflop (i used to bet 5-10 times the BB with these at full tables). And if anyone reraises, all in preflop. DO NOT GET FANCY.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about suited connectors? Do you drop those like a hot rock even from the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played them. The site i played on, everyone always mini bet every street, so i was able to look for my cards very cheap, and they called all ins when i hit. If where you play, they only know the mini bet, yes. If they have a 'Bet pot' button or people normally make bets that don't give you good odds, just fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been using a standard 4xBB + limbers raise for PP and anything else I want to play. Is that perhaps too small? I've been wondering if 4xBB is too small for this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i have to admit, i played full table, and i did it for a couple reasons. When i hit, i wanted as many fish in the pot. (And everyone always limped in every flop with any two)

In short handed, you need to figure out what your raise is for. If it's to make sure you get 1-2 callers only make sure you're getting that. If you get more, then you need to raise more. If you are raising to build a pot so that you play for a big pot when you hit, this is only needed if they are smarter then the people i played. If i hit a set, i could bet half my stack on the flop and get the rest in on the turn with them calling with mid or no pair most of the time. There was no need to build a pot, because they were willing to give me one when i hit.

Figure out what your trying to accomplish with your raise, and very it accordingly.
I found that as long as people are willing to stack off with next to nothing, there was no need to build a big pot.

Continuation bets when you miss though, were next to useless at full tables. Since you play 6max, i'd suggest see who calls your contination bets with next to nothing, and target those players for when you hit. The ones that see a flop and fold, contination bet at them every time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise my standard raise with PPs especially from LP. Is this too much for this level? (6Max BTW)

[/ QUOTE ]

Read what i said above about preflop raises.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gads! This is so true. I still try and c-bet when I miss and was the PRFer, but it is a waste of time and chips. Most of the time they will call you to the river and you just wasted your c-bet or whatever.

I've been playing $5NL 6Max to get my feet wet with NL Cash, but I'm rolled for $10NL, and almost $25NL (I have like 17 buy-ins at 25NL). Is the play going to be any "better" at 10NL or is it pretty much the same as 5NL?

Meaning: Could I learn just as much at 5NL as I could at 10NL for less $$?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends. On the site i played on, it had a very small amount of US players. Play was very different on each site i played on. If you are moving up limits on the same site, then normally, the play is simular. The fish % stays high, but as you go up, there will be more players that exploit the fish as well.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me. There are better players, but i spent a lot of time in .01/.02 and such. And most of those better players go insane there.

(Hope i didn't screw up this post to much, don't have time to proof read it right now)
Old 11-14-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Free SNGs payed .05.)

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this at?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM

If your a US player, it's dead now, but the site is called;

EverestPoker

Look under the Single Table tab and find the tables marked $0+$0.

It's a 10 man limit tourny. These are very easy to beat as well with a simple stratagy againts these donks. If you are interested, PM me.