Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Does SSHE strategy work at the nano\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who asks this question hasn't STUDIED SSHE well enough. Ugh... it's such a retarded question. UGH! Go to the beginners forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

I completely agree with your first statement. The question is valid IMO and it is unlikely to get good answers in the beginners forum.

OP,

The book was intended for the exact type of game you describe. The book and its concepts are very hard to learn and apply correctly and it takes a long time. I promise 90% of everyone new to this forum who has read the book and is fairly new to poker has had these same thoughts and questions. I know i did.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who asks this question hasn't STUDIED SSHE well enough. Ugh... it's such a retarded question. UGH! Go to the beginners forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this is the beginners forum for limit holdem.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OP,

The book was intended for the exact type of game you describe. The book and its concepts are very hard to learn and apply correctly and it takes a long time. I promise 90% of everyone new to this forum who has read the book and is fairly new to poker has had these same thoughts and questions. I know i did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks for this reply- much more constructive and useful to me (and others, I would guess).

Ian
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 AM

Sorry I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the cardbard box this morning. Take sean's advice to heart. Study your arse off. Start with SSHE. When you've done reading it like 5 times and finally get what it's really saying, move on to something more advanced. Poker isn't a game where everyone succeeds. It takes a lot of discipline, self-control, and knowledge to be good at it.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the cardbard box this morning. Take sean's advice to heart. Study your arse off. Start with SSHE. When you've done reading it like 5 times and finally get what it's really saying, move on to something more advanced. Poker isn't a game where everyone succeeds. It takes a lot of discipline, self-control, and knowledge to be good at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. Thanks for this advice. I'm sticking with it and hanging in there.

Ian
Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Just to add my name to the list of people who asked themselves (and indeed this board) the same question - I did, too. And I'm only on the first rung of learning how to play.

Read SSHE. If you think you understand it... read it again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've begun treating it like a book I studied in college - taking notes and rephrasing key parts slightly so they stick in my mind.

I intend to move onto other books afterwards but right now SSHE is serving me very well.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Some points that nobody's made, yet, that usually get made before I get to these threads are these:

1. You may not know enough to know what you don't know. That is, a lot of the stuff in SSH is advanced, and if applied under the wrong circumstances, yada yada, will lead to problems for you.

and

2. 7.5K hands really isn't enough to know what's going on. Changes in limit are frequently accompanied by downswings, sometimes due to variance, sometimes due to Hero playing differently, unconsciously, because of the higher stakes. Post hands, let somebody else review your hands, etc.

and

3. Players at .10/.20 may be better postflop than players at .05/.10, but that doesn't mean they're good. Going back to point 2, they are possibly more aggressive and pushing you off hands, taking advantage of your fear of the new stakes without even knowing it. Go through your hands looking for places where you feel you're making "good laydowns" and see if you really are. At the same time, look for places where you're a) pushing with MPTK-type hands against calling-stations or b) calling down yourself with TPWK-type hands when being bet into by typically passive Villans.

And, now, some unique insight!

SSHE is not the end-all-be-all of poker writings, dare I say it? Read some other stuff, GSIH and WLLH are both good beginners books, and incorporating some more ABC/weak-tight concepts into your play will improve you, generally. Also, read some obviously bad books, and learn to think critically about what others tell you.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GSIH and WLLH

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - what are these fully titled?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Getting Started in Internet Hold 'Em, 2p2 authors
Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em, Lee Jones
Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Ian,

Acouple of other things. One of the biggest misconceptions alot of players especially new players have is that if they play a tight aggressive game they will automatically be winners. We(micro forumsters) hear alot of "i play tight and aggressive or i use Ed Miller's starting hand chart but i can't beat the fish at the micro games" type of stuff. Pre flop play is important but post flop play is REALLY important. You learn this as you move up or switch to short handed games. For example you raise(AK or AQ or some other two broadway hand) and some passive fish calls in the BB. Four or five big bets go in post flop and he wins with his 37 or whatever against your ace high. You moan and bitch about your luck how the fish always suck out but really which mistake is bigger his pre flop call or your post flop play? I know this is broad and maybe it was correct to put some bets in post flop but i am just trying to make a point and that is the big mistakes most average players make are post flop. No one regardless of skill level can play 37 profitably over a large sample of hands and everyone here knows that its basic but the majority of mistakes are made post flop. Are you going to be faced with how to play 37 pre flop or how to play overcards more often? The answer is easy and your big leaks usually come from your desicions that appear on a regular basis post flop. I hope this makes sense and helps.