Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Election Results impact on gambling ban?

Lets also remember that this bill was put forth to help these republicans win re-election and support. Now that the election is over and it clearly failed there is a chance the dems may drop this issue going forward. Again, i am not sure how this will effect the enforcement of the current legislation, but it certainly will not help.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you go about changing/undoing a law in USA anyways?

/clueless european

[/ QUOTE ]

Caveat - I have not really followed this issue, so this could be entirely off.

In this case, I think the tact would be to pass laws regulating on line gambling thus making it legal and the UIGEA completely non applicable. I don't see that happenening in the near future, but I also don't see the issue being championed by either side, which means I think internet poker will fade almost entirely from the political radar and hopefully no or ineffectual banking regulations will be put in place.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a/ Passing another law in the opposite direction

b/ The law being overturned in court

[c/ Not really enforcing the law. Congress paints with broad strokes. The nitty-gritty is left to regulators, in UIGEA's case the Federal Reserve, Treasury, and Justice Departments . Even after the regulations are written, they may or may not be enforced aggressively. Of course, even if they are not, they may still be complied with by banks and other institutions that matter.]

For the forseeable future, c/ is by far our best hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to tell you, c is not realistic. Compliance is practically guaranteed, which means enforcement is moot.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Compliance from whom, the banks, neteller, poker sites? If so why haven't banks already banned neteller, or neteller and all the poker sites already dropped US customers? As far as I understand it, nothing in this bill says banks can't send money to and from a foreign bank like neteller. Somebody's gonna have to rattle some kind of sabre for that to happen.

Another enforcement issue is whether or not the justice dept will go above and beyond the call of duty to indict poker site executives on shaky legal grounds and just try to scare the crap out of them.

The Justice Dept basically dropped their suit against Microsoft the day Bush appointed Ashcroft. Obviously the JD will still be Republican controlled. But my point is, if the will isn't there, c) can certainly happen. This bill seems to be Frist's thing, not the exectutive branch.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:51 PM

The UIGEA bill was a way for Bill Frist to raise huge money from special interests, not only from the NFL and gambling corporations, but from the anti-gambling Christian coalition.

Well, it backfired. With the Republicans out of power, I doubt the UIGEA is high on anyone's agenda. Let's hope things stay the way they are - it's not in anyone's interest to pursue this thing aggressively.

Donald Rumsfeld got fired hours after the election (do I sense panic?) and I'm sure many Republicans, Bill Frist included, are busy shredding documents today. Frist is already under investigation - the Democrats will go after him, because now they can.

If Frist gets indicted, the UIGEA will be buried, forgotten and altogether ignored. Online poker will be like marijuana, officially illegal but available everywhere.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The UIGEA bill was a way for Bill Frist to raise huge money from special interests, not only from the NFL and gambling corporations, but from the anti-gambling Christian coalition.

Well, it backfired. With the Republicans out of power, I doubt the UIGEA is high on anyone's agenda. Let's hope things stay the way they are - it's not in anyone's interest to pursue this thing aggressively.

Donald Rumsfeld got fired hours after the election (do I sense panic?) and I'm sure many Republicans, Bill Frist included, are busy shredding documents today. Frist is already under investigation - the Democrats will go after him, because now they can.

If Frist gets indicted, the UIGEA will be buried, forgotten and altogether ignored. Online poker will be like marijuana, officially illegal but available everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you're asking for trouble getting my hopes up like that, don't you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people keep writing these things? Online poker is NOT "officially illegal." This legislation has nothing to do with the legality of online poker.

Also, the future of the UIGEA is in no way impacted by what happens to Frist. I hope he burns, but the damage is done regardless. It's not going to just magically disappear.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 PM

i think by looking at the way the corporate media has been covering the UIGEA, it's clear that certain corporations would like to see gaming regulated within the United States. if the democrats win the senate, Harry Reid from Nevada will become the House Majority Leader (i'm almost sure) which should be a positive sign. Bill Frist basically shoved this into law, why wouldn't Reid be able to pass regulation legislation in a similar fashion?
also, if democrats take control of the Senate, which seems fairly likely, they will be in charge of the committees. next year, they will have the power to appropriate $ however they want, and if they decide not to fund $ for the purpose of enforcing the UIGEA then the bill will have no real significance... right?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM

The Election changes nothing...

The Only positive Change is Leach out and Kyl now in the Minority... And having Harry Reid(Nevada) as Senate Majority Leader may end up being a plus because of MGM and Harrah's Entertainment...

The Democrats will not act to reverse because Poker is completely off the Radar and will always be unless Money or influence flows in that direction...

Here are the ways the Legislation can be reversed

1. Poker Players banding together to form a Powerful PAC or Voting Block... (hard to do without resources and PASSION for the issue)

2. A judge or Court overturns the legislation on some Constituational Basis (possible but someone has to fight it and it would take awhile)

3. Harrahs or MGM get into Online Poker and use their Powerful Political influence... (Very Likely... Read the News... MGM and Harrah are already sniffing around 888 for a possible purchase... That's the White Knight... They Buy in and then online poker will be regulated and Licensed in the United States... you can bet on it...)

As for Poker Players against Kyl... Yeah, Kyl got re-elected and we knew it was coming but everyone should take pride in their donations and effort... I seriously suggest using this has a starting point... Leach is gone but Goodlatte is still out there and will be up for election in two years... And Frist will be running for President in 2008... There are other targets and this time we can get a running start... I still like addictontilt's Poker Tourney idea for Fundraising... We have two years to get a solid PAC running... I think the game officially begins NOW...
Old 11-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Ok, so if this changes nothing, what *is* going to happen? Who's going to write regs? What will they say? What will be done after that in regards to compliance/enforcement? You're saying there's no variability in any of these things based on the influence/strength-of-will coming from Congress?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:00 PM

Well...while not technically changing anything, the fact that there will not likely be much "pressure" from congress to make the regs stringent, to go along with Bernanke stance on additional banking regulation, it is possible that the regs will be reletively watered down when they come.