Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: AK, WA/SB?

in 4/180s, any ace is calling the bet here, as are queens sometimes, as are gutshots?
I don't see QJ folding to a bet for sure, and we're stacking AJ on this flop every time.
The only reason I see to not bet is that getting raised is awful, so I'd probably personally check behind on this flop then bet any turn if it was checked to me again.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 PM

PF re raise > PF call > PF min raise to 120
Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF re raise > PF call > PF min raise to 120

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, for the last time

THIS IS NOT A MIN RAISE!!!!

I know it is a terrible raise, and it was probably a combination of multi-tabling and not paying enough attention. I know PF was bad, what about the flop?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check

betting is awful

preflop is awful

the responses here are awful

this thread is awful

[/ QUOTE ]

Ansky, I know that you are among the best players in this forum, and I most likely have a lot to learn from you. I have got to ask you though: When was the last time you played in a 4$/180 or another MTT with a simmilar buy-in?

I'm sure it might be good to check this behind against serious opponents, but these guys will call you with Ax, second pair and a lot of other stuff I don't even want to mention. As for later streets, you do have position, and will have a lot of information when you are to evaluate.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check

betting is awful

preflop is awful

this thread is awful

[/ QUOTE ]

Ansky, I know that you are among the best players in this forum, and I most likely have a lot to learn from you. I have got to ask you though: When was the last time you played in a 4$/180 or another MTT with a simmilar buy-in?

I'm sure it might be good to check this behind against serious opponents, but these guys will call you with Ax, second pair and a lot of other stuff I don't even want to mention. As for later streets, you do have position, and will have a lot of information when you are to evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main problem with this is that the pot already contains 1/4 of my stack and building it up, even if in position, could eventually mean playing for my entire stack in a situation where I am WA/WB
Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check

betting is awful

preflop is awful

this thread is awful

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main problem with this is that the pot already contains 1/4 of my stack and building it up, even if in position, could eventually mean playing for my entire stack in a situation where I am WA/WB

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you plan on folding this hand at some point you are going to be playing for your stack every time you are behind regardless of whether you bet or check - the stacks aren't deep enough for pot control here. The point fiksdal is making which I think is correct is that at higher buyins hands you beat are more likely to get all in if you check and act weak than if you bet and act strong. In a 4/180 hands you beat are more likely to get all in if you bet because they will call you down more often than they will bet for you.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM

Well, anyway, I figured I was WA or WB, so I tried some pot control and checked.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB: Checks
MP3: Bets 150
Hero???

I think this is a pretty easy place to pick off a bluff, should I call and see what happens on the river?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM

I think Fiskdal has somewhat of a point on the flop at this buyin but you're not getting action from any worse hands anywhere if you raise now.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 PM

You've now got top two, top kicker on a board that hit a gazillion minraising hands and now with a Q turn, you have to consider trips and boats are certainly a more legitimate threat along with flopped straights, so you're calling to draw to 6 to justify getting ready for heavy river action, and the J's might get you a chop at best.

3-way, the only hands you're ahead of here are KT and AJ along with JJ and underpairs, and that looks pretty implausible at this point. If you're determined to see this hand through to the river, you have to become a calling station. Raising in this particular spot is horrible.

Better off folding, I think, as your river decision is always going to be problematic.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:54 PM

Yeah call turn here - raise would be terrible and folding for 150 is way too weak