Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Deep stacked 10/20 against aggro Villian

There was a quote here somewhere, and I've taken it to heart:

vs. maniacs, raise with your marginal hands and check/call with your strong ones.

Basically, let this guy bluff off his stack to you if that's what he's interested in. Check call turn, then you can decide what to do on the river.

If he pots the turn, then your river allin will be trivially easy.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

no.

the last thing we want if for villain to fold a hand he would have bluffed with or caught something with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worrying about maximizing a monster like this usually isn't worth worrying about because you usually won't get much action. You need to let this guy do all the maximizing for you instead of taking the risk of showing him you hit that flop.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM

what was the outcome if you dont mind me asking? Did he go all in?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM

I really like your line if he thinks you bet for value. Agree with the 1/2 pot on river, id imagine him putting you right on KK-JJ.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM

If villain does in fact have AA or KK I do not think it matters how you play the hand

Isn't this what makes check call check call lead river such a powerful play? The guy three barrel bluffs and has shown a tendency to hit the river bet hard, right? I think this line looks very much like a soft pair that wants to see showdown at a cheap price.

My guess is the action would go:
Check bet call $600 flop, pot ~$1200
Check bet call $1000 turn, pot ~$3200, hero with $2600
Bet river $1000.

I dunno, more I think about it, the less fold equity he probably puts you on with the river bet. I guess that's my chief concern now that I've worked through the math a little closer. You bet 1k on the river, now you have 1.6k stack with 6.8k in it if he moves you in. Will he think 4.25 to 1 isn't enough for you and you'll fold?

More I look at that line with your stacks, I like leading the flop and calling the raise, then seeing the bet size on the turn and deciding to get it in then or not. Check calling flop and turn and leading river looks better if your stacks are closer to $6k+.

If he's that aggro, wouldn't a cr on the flop to 1,800 be likely to induce an all in?

- C -
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM

I really like this line. If you weak-lead the flop and call a raise, do you think he is going to fire the turn with air or even QQ-TT? Even LAG's should see some commitment to the pot once you take this line.

Your line allows the pot to grow a bit and give him a shot to try to push you off a possible middle PP on the turn without a made hand. If he has AA/KK it doesn't matter what line you take anyways.

I don't see many turn cards that would slow the action here in either case and the turn weak-lead is just screaming to him to push you off.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:06 PM

You guys are saying if he has AA/KK, it doesn't matter. With stacks this deep vs. a thinking (even if he is aggro) player, doesn't it totally matter? Isn't that exactly what we're discussing here (KK/AA as a very large part of villain's range)?

Wouldn't a thinking player just call a river "blocking" bet with KK/AA? Or are you guys that confident that this type of villain is pushing river every time w/ KK/AA given this board and action?

edit: I guess I am simply agreeing with psuasskicker, but would like to see responses to his points
Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM

how is AA/KK a large part of his range at all, it shouldnt be a large part, they are deep stacked and he re raised pf from the button