Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: maybe interesting 10-9s hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Villain has a strong hand and I suspect that jamming is not such a good idea now but, personally, I'm not so sure of my hand reading that that I'm not going to jam. I don't think we've got room for anything else and he's not obliged to put the rest in on the river when/if we hit fairly obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a straigh or flush draw similar to MP, although I usually 3/4 pot the turn, not 1/2 ish like he did.

I want to fold better flush draws than me and I think we do that here.

Last thing we want is to call the turn and MP 3 barrells it with a missed draw and fold.

That's why taking control on the flop is good, we want control in this hand so we can read his better, and we want folds when we are just drawing, although our equity is awesome on the flop against most hands except better flush draws so I don't mind getting in on the flop we me putting in the last bet.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

What bothers me about MP is that he makes a near PSB on the turn which appears more like he's protecting a made hand. The read is that he's not tricky.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would love to see some discussion of what we think villain has after his turn bet, and what portion of that we think we're folding out with a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can have a ton of different hands here. Overpair (99ish), two pair, flush draw, straight, straight draw with a pair, etc.

The crux of his range though is that when we push we usually fold out the one hand we don't want to call, and that's a better flush draw.

Against all other hands we have a nice amount of outs and our pot equity combined with fold equity make it a +EV play (air math)

Since we really want the better flush draw to fold and don't mind all other hands coming along on the flop, its best to raise the flop and take control of the hand.

Raising the flop and jamming the turn is the best line here against his range. We usually fold the one hand we want to fold and have excellent equity vs the rest.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What bothers me about MP is that he makes a near PSB on the turn which appears more like he's protecting a made hand. The read is that he's not tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or his bet means he wants the pot now and doesn't want to go to showdown.

Like I said, if he's not drawing to the flush we have 11-15 outs and some good fold equity, I think pushing here is the only reasonable play given the stack sizes.

A push maximizes our pot equtiy here.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The crux of his range though is that when we push we usually fold out the one hand we don't want to call, and that's a better flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pushing anyway but I feel happier about it now. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 PM

my two cents:

preflop, i float alot and don't see a huge reason not to here. i think a raise is fine as well, i just dont think its an autoraise or anything.

flop: 95% of the time when i flop a sf draw i am trying to ram and jam the flop. for some reason i thought on this stack size it might be an awkward turn play if i did. i just didn't see the original raiser raising me with many hands that didn't have me crushed. i guess maybe he has 99 or tt but i have one of each, jj and higher likely woulda been raised preflop.

what i mean is an overpair is fine, but a set or straight is not that cool for me.

im just a bit confused about what he may hold, actually both on the flop and turn.

i don't think just calling on this flop is fancy play syndrome, i think its just a different reasonable line.

i dunno i usually raise tho, i just thought a call would leave me various options on the turn and i could reevaluate whether to get aggro or get passive, while still leaving me odds to play it correctly passively.

the turn is tricky, when he bets that big, i think its pretty likely he has a pretty damn good hand.

i think i have 15 outs and i can likely fold a flush draw, i think im a bit screwed if he has like jd kd or kd qd.

i can see an argument for calling or jamming. i decided to push and he folded.

not sure if that is optimal or not.