Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Full tilt sound problem

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response.

I have updated the sound driver software too. I have a inspiron 9300 with Sigmatel Audio C (or something like that...).

I went to the dell support site regarding driver updates and updated to the latest version; however, the problem persists. The driver's release date was 6/20/2005 so perhaps if they ever release a more updated driver my sound will be fixed too.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is an updated version!

edit: make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a inspiron 9300 with Sigmatel Audio C

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yea, and if you haven't done so already, check here to see if your battery got recalled. your laptop model may have one of the defective ones.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the link, gold. I found that site too; however, I was not sure it was trustworthy.

I don't know why Dell just doesn't update their own site. I will be sure to check yr link out though and report if it was successful.

Also, my laptop battery was one of the fortunate ones and did not have to be recalled.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 PM

OpenDrivers is a trustworthy source, just to let you know...even though you said you were going to download it anyways.

Also, good to hear that your battery didn't get recalled. At my company, we had like 15 or so laptops without batteries :/
Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 AM

It turns out that the openDrivers file seemed to be the same file....

It had the same file name, version number, etc. So it seems unlikely that this is a new driver unless the developers forgot to upgrade the version number (isn't this punishable by death in some software companies??).

I did, however, find an older driver from the dell website (different file name, version, etc) and I may try that option out....
Old 11-08-2006, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It turns out that the openDrivers file seemed to be the same file....

It had the same file name, version number, etc. So it seems unlikely that this is a new driver unless the developers forgot to upgrade the version number (isn't this punishable by death in some software companies??).

I did, however, find an older driver from the dell website (different file name, version, etc) and I may try that option out....

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like you're right. i'll look around a bit for a dif ver later.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks.

I went to the Sigmatel site awhile back and it said that they did not support their audio cards for PCs and that one must go to the PCs support site for drivers, etc.

Then Yesterday I went to the Sigmatel site and it said they sold their PC audio division to another company called IDT (if I recall correctly). So it seems like there will not be a push to update these drivers from Sigmatel and the new company probably won't care either.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 PM

maybe you would be better off getting a nice sound card anyways. i rarely ever use the onboard gfx or audio.

good luck!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 AM

signal, don't go to del website unless you need to know what manufacturer the sound card is. Once you find that out (soundblaster, turtle beach, whatever), go to THAT website and get the latest and greatest.

The problem with going to the computer guy, dell in this case, is that they will have the card and driver for when THEY purchased it en masse from the manufacturer. They dont' go through the effort of updating the driver cuz once they sell the machine/cards, the next gen computers will have newer cards anyhow.

Find out who the manufacturer is. It may mean taking off the side and physically looking at the card, then going from there.

If you want, let me know the name of the card and I'll find you the newer driver.

Direct X should work with drivers dated 2005 though. Do you have the latest Direct X driver?

You may as well get the newest Direct X anyhow - www.microsoft.com/directx/

The sound issue is 100% related to your machine though unfortunately, and is most probably driver or incompatible sound card... I'd bet more that it's a driver issue tho.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 AM

Toaster Oven, as signal said above, he knows the manufacturer and he checked the manufacturer's website, but they no longer support the cards and the company that bought them out apparently does not either.

[ QUOTE ]
I went to the Sigmatel site awhile back and it said that they did not support their audio cards for PCs and that one must go to the PCs support site for drivers, etc.

Then Yesterday I went to the Sigmatel site and it said they sold their PC audio division to another company called IDT (if I recall correctly). So it seems like there will not be a push to update these drivers from Sigmatel and the new company probably won't care either.

[/ QUOTE ]