Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke - The Colbert Report

colbert is outstanding, and incredibly talented.
many nights, TCR is much better than TDL. At first, I think TCR really struggled to find its own voice, but it has really hit a groove now, and continues to improve.

Too bad the annie duke interview was such a bomb though.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

While I wouldn't go so far as agree that TCR is better, I fully agree taht it's very good and really found it's voice after struggling the first few weeks.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 AM

The Colbert Report is hysterical. Right now I like it more than The Daily Show.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Colbert Report is pretty bad. The host may be really talented but having him do the same exact schtick as Jon Stewart seems tiresome. I predict two seasons at most before Comedy Central realizes its repetitiveness and Colbert ends up on a stupid sitcome on ABC.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colbert Report is pretty bad. The host may be really talented but having him do the same exact schtick as Jon Stewart seems tiresome. I predict two seasons at most before Comedy Central realizes its repetitiveness and Colbert ends up on a stupid sitcome on ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

'exact same schtick'?

Colbert is basically performing an elaborate parody of Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity/et al. - right down to the set, the mannerisms, the interviews, and the recurring segments.

While the Daily Show is also a parody, it is MUCH less specific - in fact, they're not even really genre-related, other than both having a political slant.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 PM

You are very wrong. Colbert's show is much different than the Daily Show and it definitely won't be going off the air anytime soon.

I have a dreamcicle!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 PM

Colbert report and daily show aren't anything alike, format wise. One is satire and the other is 'weekend update' + late night talk show. Personally, I think Colbert is ingenious, while Stewart is just very funny.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colbert Report is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just fear the Report because it has so much truthiness.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM

I like how he celebrates himself when he runs over to interview a guest.

I'm playing against a guy who has a pic of Colbert raising his left eyebrow for his avatar.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'exact same schtick'?

Colbert is basically performing an elaborate parody of Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity/et al. - right down to the set, the mannerisms, the interviews, and the recurring segments.

While the Daily Show is also a parody, it is MUCH less specific - in fact, they're not even really genre-related, other than both having a political slant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both shows do lots of interviews with non-comedy people, i.e. polticians, political authors, etc.

ALL of these interviews, on both shows, try hard to walk the thin line of poking fun at the guest, making light of whatever (often very serious) thing they represent and trying to act interested in the guest's cause. Shows like Letterman and Leno have been very popular because many of the guests are entertainers used to back and forth banter, which makes for good TV. Donald Rumsfeld and the like on DS and Colbert are often stiff and clearly don't get it, which makes for uncomfortable and tiresome television and the hosts attempt to manuever hilarity from the situation. This is what I mean by the same schtick.

As far as genre, they are one and the same. Colbert immitates O'Reily (I guess) and DS immitates the evening news. These two entities are very similar. Also, Colbert does a lengthy monologue/introduction/quick rundown of the days stories which puts the show further in to Daily Show territory.

Finally, the extensive "I am great" sarcasm that Colbert lays on is not new, not even to the channel, as Craig Kilborn performed these jokes to exhaustion a few years ago.