Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Flop top set - how do I extract the most?

On the turn, I'd check behind and give him an opportunity to bluff it on the river. I like the bet on the check when your hand isn't as strong, but here I'd like him to catch up a little and his check on the turn screams that he gave up on the hand and betting will take it right there...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM

2 ways to get more chips, min reraise the flop, get him more committed, also check behind on turn, if he checks river value bet small-medium, pot odds will induce a call
Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 PM

lol at you donks saying minraise. just die already or something
Old 10-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Yeah the minraise sucks. Top set uncoordinated board, I think the ace was your best chance at making any more on the hand and the way you played it was pretty standard. Since the ace doesn't really scare you (low str8 draw, a flush draw, but I'm not too worried about either) I may just check behind on the turn and try to induce a bluff. Also, if he bets, raise to 2.5x his bet on the river. Bet 1/4 pot if he checks to you.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM

I usually raise here just so I don't get stuck representing some card on the turn (like an ace) I don't want to.

It sort of depends on villan though. If villan is agressive then I'll probably just call and let him hang himself, but absent that information I usually just try to build the pot and hope he has some kind of a hand RIGHT NOW (cause he says he does) rather than hoping he hits 6 outs on the turn that he's willing to go to the felt with over a small pot (since we kept it small by flat calling).

Or to put it another way, if he doesn't have anything here (which is likely) we're probably not making much no matter what. But if he DOES have something and we raise, he might call and we might get to stack him. Then we aren't going to be forced to represent an unkown turn card, since we've already said our hand is made on the flop. Besides, people don't re-raise with the nuts, so raise is deceptive [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM

I think the ace pretty much did you in. I don't mind the smooth call on the flop (hell, you have position, you might as well use it), but once the ace hit, his 99 or whatever was toast. For that reason, check behind on the turn, and let him put you on air.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Raising the flop doesnt really make any sense at all, what hands call from the sb that lead the flop and plan on calling a raise? 55, 33, and some form of top pair. There's only 1 jack out there, we arent losing action from 55 or 33 regardless, And if he's got overs the only way we get more money is if he improves the turn OR decides to multibarrel, raising the flop kills that. Bottom line is when he leads like this I doubt we're making that much any way we play it, and there's no draw coming in on the turn, we just have the board too crippled for him to have a legitimate flop hand thats not a set or a very small chance of top pair.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM

i wouldve checked the turn call me crazy
Old 10-30-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop doesnt really make any sense at all, what hands call from the sb that lead the flop and plan on calling a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]Probably nothing. You probably aren't getting anything from this hand no matter what line you take. I guess I'm just used to the loose 4/180s where 88-TT call and sometimes stack off here because they think I'm full of it. Or heck, 67s decides that I'm full of it and decides to push over my re-raise.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM

I'm usually an advocate for fast playing, but it really seems to my that this is a perfect opportunity to just call in position with your hand.

The pros:
-Very few cards kill your action if villain has 99 or something
-The board is the most innocuous board we'll ever see
-Villain is relatively short, so if he makes a bet on the turn, and has a hand like 99 or something, he is pretty much commited to calling your push

The cons:
-This can look somewhat suspicious, because I dout you would do this with many other hands. With AK I would either fold or raise, and with 66+ I would do the same. With AA or KK I would probably just call here and with QQ I would usually raise. I think usually against an aggressive opponent, a lot of people will just shutdown after a flatcall in position.

All in all, I think this is an ok way to play this against a bad-pretty good player, but against a really good player who also knew me, I would probably raise.