Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Waiting for the shoe to...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it's happening, Rotter. I simply don't care. I assume they're all colluding too and simply step it up. And if I can't beat even that in the long term, how the hell do I expect to beat world-class players down the road? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was sarcasm it was good because it was hard to detect. If it wasn't then you should find a new game to throw your money away on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like charities and keeping the fish appeased and entertained...

Yeah, ok. Perhaps I should take up knittin'.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Just because they are all playing on the same site does not mean they are all playing the same tables or stakes. Also if they are all on the same interent connection they can not sit at the same table as someone else on the same connection.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it opens up the picture that poker sites have feared - collusion

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't groundbreaking.

This is a possibility that most have been aware of since day 1.

Welcome to the club.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 PM

i never would have known this was possible if i didn't see a picture of people with more than one computer in a room.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it's happening, Rotter. I simply don't care. I assume they're all colluding too and simply step it up. And if I can't beat even that in the long term, how the hell do I expect to beat world-class players down the road? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was sarcasm it was good because it was hard to detect. If it wasn't then you should find a new game to throw your money away on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's sarcasm. Collusion does happen and it's widely known. Some split-pot games are unplayable sometimes even for the superior player because of collusion. Fortunately, effective collusion in holdem is a little more difficult.

The point he was trying to make is, if your purpose at a poker table is to make money, then you should simply quit if you're not winning. It doesn't matter whether it's because it's due to collusion or you're being outplayed.

In other words, you simply have to accept collusion as a reality of the environment you are operating in. Sure, you would prefer that they catch everyone who's colluding and bar them, but that's probably not realistic. Experts can collude in a way that is virtually undetectable. A player who's sole motivation is to win should simply stop playing at any level that he can't beat, for whatever reason.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly how much have you lost online, sir?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very little because I mostly play live. I enjoy the atmosphere and am able to supplement my regular paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

so many things 'lol' about this.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Child's play to notice...All they have to do is knock you out of pots when you raise by coming over the top and back at you with multiple raises and make you fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree. That would be child's play to notice. Assuming you don't hold the nuts and chortle as they try to push you out and instead give you their money.

It's easy enough to get seated at the same table - exploiting it to make any money without the other players realizing it or the site flagging you for suspicious play is extremely difficult.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is to say the other 8 players on a live table aren't working together using signs to take your money?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever played live you'd know how dumb that question is.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Child's play to notice...All they have to do is knock you out of pots when you raise by coming over the top and back at you with multiple raises and make you fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree. That would be child's play to notice. Assuming you don't hold the nuts and chortle as they try to push you out and instead give you their money.

It's easy enough to get seated at the same table - exploiting it to make any money without the other players realizing it or the site flagging you for suspicious play is extremely difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

By using different IP's and even subnets there is no way that the site is going to flag you. At the lower levels that this is happening at the players won't have a clue. It doesn't have to happen every hand for them to be successful.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Fair enough.

But ya know what, Rotter, simply doesn't seems something to get all hot and bothered over.

Then again, maybe so. Levels the playing field. We do adhere to higher standards at a poker table, regardless of where it's located. Maybe fairness is a possibility.

No harm, no foul.

~FM