FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: HU 100-200 vs hung la

[ QUOTE ]
rbk u play high stakes online HU cash?
whats your sn if you do? if you dont want to post here, can u plz pm me. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

no i don't play much online at all.
and no hung la is not lapoker17... la is his last name.
he is a world class cash game player who also has made the final table of a couple of WPT events winning one.

real nice guy, cousin of men the master.

i checked flop, 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] came on turn it got checked through.
river paired the jack, i checked(?) la bet $2500 i muttered aloud how terribly i played the hand and then just called.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 PM

I don't think you played hand terrible at all, although riverbet is prob okay with jack as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

hey rbk,

after putting that much money in preflop, I think you have to bet this flop and be willing to gun it out for your stack....his range is wide enough to include a lot of hands you are ahead of, but the pot is big, the board is drawy, you're out of position, and there are a lot of scare cards on the turn.....

checking doesn't have any real value because I don't think he bluffs this flop very often after you show that much strength preflop, especially since you say he respects your play....I think he checks behind a lot when you check....and any hands he does bet, he'd be willing to call or raise with when you bet, so you may as well bet.....

-S
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey rbk,

after putting that much money in preflop, I think you have to bet this flop and be willing to gun it out for your stack....his range is wide enough to include a lot of hands you are ahead of, but the pot is big, the board is drawy, you're out of position, and there are a lot of scare cards on the turn.....

checking doesn't have any real value because I don't think he bluffs this flop very often after you show that much strength preflop, especially since you say he respects your play....I think he checks behind a lot when you check....and any hands he does bet, he'd be willing to call or raise with when you bet, so you may as well bet.....

[/ QUOTE ]

i still have around 25K left in my stack which i don't necessarily want to play for because i felt like if la was willing to put 25K in the pot on that board there was a good chance i was way behind.

i mean i don't think he's calling my reraise preflop with K10 or 910 which are the only draws i'm really worried about, and AK only has 7 outs and he's not playing for stacks with AK.

therefore i feel like if i bet and he raises i'm either looking at AQ or a set, problem is if he has AQ he may think its the best hand and so i have to include that in his raising range.
therefore if i bet and he raises i'm gonna be real sick about my options.

if i lead for the pot and he makes it 12K he's risking 12K to find out exactly what i have and i have to risk 20K with no idea what he has.

if i lead and he raises and i push he's folding all the hands i beat besides a flush draw, and calling with all the hands i'll have only 2 outs against.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM

heads up with position? you REALLY dont think he can call a reraise with a wide range? if you've rarely been reraising him preflop i could agree but if you guys have been playing back at each other i think your assessment of his range is somewhat naive.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

right, and heads up how likely is it that he has a set compared to AQ, AcX, AK, AcKc, any two clubs, AJ, KQ, KJ, etc. such that you won't put 25k into a 5k pot......plus, remember he's not always gonna raise either, he might sometimes CALL a bet with a hand that would check behind.....you lose value and needlessly give him a freebie when that happens....I know it seems scary to get raised on this flop, but what advantage does checking have?....

edited to add:

generally if I'm checking this flop with two kings, it's because A) I'm trying to control the pot and "see where I'm at" or B) I have tremendous picking-off-a-bluff-equity....

IMO, the time for letter A came and went preflop when you put in 10 percent of your stack, and letter B doesn't seem all that likely in this spot against this player....you would know that part better than me though....and as for your assessment of his range being fairly narrow to call your pf rr, if he really won't call your pf reraise with a range wider than a pocket pair, then you made a mistake by raising to that amount - you should've either put in less money or more money preflop....does that make sense?....
Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 AM

wow i bet flop/get it in... but it sounds like your game was a bit less passive than is optimal imo.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 AM

wow, rbk.. his range is rly restricted after he called your rr, you're playing hu. if you feel this is true, run him ovah
Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 AM

um...i see this working about ternm minutes against a halfway decent opponent
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eads up with position? you REALLY dont think he can call a reraise with a wide range? if you've rarely been reraising him preflop i could agree but if you guys have been playing back at each other i think your assessment of his range is somewhat naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i am playing HU vs a tough opponent i generally try and inflate pot size when i'm in position, and i try and keep the pot smaller when i'm out of position.
therefore i don't reraise as often out of position esp. vs la.
he knows this and in general respects my raises and so i don't think he is going to be calling that big of a raise preflop too light because he knows i'm good enough to get away from 2nd best hands and therefore his implied odds aren't as good.
he also knows i'm pretty good at hand reading so i can make some big calls, it may seem counter intuitive but its not.
i guess my main problem was that he's not the type of player to donk off a stack with a weak hand but because i'm out of position he can put me to the test for my stack if i lead while risking a much smaller amount of $.

like i said if im in position with this same hand it plays out much differently.
i guess i was just curious as to alternate lines to take with this hand when out of position.

obviously i'm not going to play it the same way every time was just curious what you guys thought...

as it turns out he had AQ and "value bet" $2500 on the river.

the reason i got to thinking was because of his exact hand here and how it might have played out if i lead the flop.
like i said i hadn't been reraising out of position that often (we hadn't even been playing for that long) so i don't think he had a good enough idea of how often i was making continuation bets, however heads up it wouldn't be unthinkable for him to believe his hand was best on the flop.

now there is certainly a good chance he would have just called my flop lead, however there is also a good chance he makes a raise on the flop and due to the pot size his raise is going to be an amount which will force me to play for my whole stack without committing him.

so if he raises and i decide to push he's most likely going to fold his AQ (playing perfectly) however he'll make the same raise with two pair or a set so i just don't see how in the long term i like getting it all-in on the flop.

just some thoughts, i could be way off.

as for me being naive to his calling range i can't help but think i have a better handle on it then you.
i can say from experience that i don't think he's 4betting me preflop with JJ/QQ and i think the chances he's calling me with 910suited is exponetally lower then the likilhood that he's 4betting me preflop with JJ/QQ.