Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: **Official Potawatomi Poker Room Expansion Suggestions**

[ QUOTE ]
but after all the local pros busted out, the money dried up and it wasn't worth the trip anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't think the pros busted out. they just stopped coming beause

[ QUOTE ]
NO ONE knew what they were doing

[/ QUOTE ]

by the way i think you make a great point when you say,

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say get someone who cares about higher limit games. You can fill a small room with micro-limit tables, but a room can't flourish without a bigger main game as a staple.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is mainly becase it will just create more traffic in the room. When it comes to poker, people want to be where people are and they want to be where the action is. Also, players who play in the bigger games will play in the smaller ones while theyre waiting. The main way to get the bigger limit games back I really think is to make sure they run consistently even if that means running them shorthanded (part of this is up to the regulars who should be agreeing to play short) and opening up extra tables to accomodate people who have driven from Chicago.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but after all the local pros busted out, the money dried up and it wasn't worth the trip anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't think the pros busted out. they just stopped coming beause

[ QUOTE ]
NO ONE knew what they were doing

[/ QUOTE ]

by the way i think you make a great point when you say,

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say get someone who cares about higher limit games. You can fill a small room with micro-limit tables, but a room can't flourish without a bigger main game as a staple.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is mainly becase it will just create more traffic in the room. When it comes to poker, people want to be where people are and they want to be where the action is. Also, players who play in the bigger games will play in the smaller ones while theyre waiting. The main way to get the bigger limit games back I really think is to make sure they run consistently even if that means running them shorthanded (part of this is up to the regulars who should be agreeing to play short) and opening up extra tables to accomodate people who have driven from Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appears this will be happening soon. I was there on Wednesday afternoon and this place was crazy busy. No limit had a wait list of 33 people... They are expanding to 17 tables by the end of the year and finally put up a glass wall between the smoking and non-smoking section of the bingo hall. Also they are have a $25000 tourney for the top 120 players who have the most hours for the month of November. Top prize $8100 and if you qualify it will cost you $125 to enter. Sign up at the players card center.

Looks like the new room will be nice too. They have a blueprint on the glass wall.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:39 PM

I plan on being in Milwaukee at the end of November. Should I expect long waits on weekdays? What limit games do they spread? Should I just get drunk and play blackjack instead?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM

Your name remains on a wait list for 2 hours. Call 414-847-7605 ahead of time to save yourself some waiting time. Put your name on all lists, then you can get on a table when you arrive or plan on playing blackjack.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Appears this will be happening soon. I was there on Wednesday afternoon and this place was crazy busy. No limit had a wait list of 33 people... They are expanding to 17 tables by the end of the year and finally put up a glass wall between the smoking and non-smoking section of the bingo hall. Also they are have a $25000 tourney for the top 120 players who have the most hours for the month of November. Top prize $8100 and if you qualify it will cost you $125 to enter. Sign up at the players card center.

Looks like the new room will be nice too. They have a blueprint on the glass wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the room will be much nicer but I still think they don't have nearly enough tables. a milwaukee poker room could support 30 tables minimum. freeroll tourney sounds great though. especially side action.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on being in Milwaukee at the end of November. Should I expect long waits on weekdays? What limit games do they spread? Should I just get drunk and play blackjack instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

at night, yes. daytime things tend to move at a reasonable pace in my experience. haven't been there for a long time though.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:25 PM

I think you're entirely too harsh on the poker closet. They're much, much better than they were when I first went there, and it's nearly to the point where I can say that Potawatomi is finally less than twice as bad as Oneida.

There is no way that Potawatomi can support Canterbury-esque games. In the time I've played there, Potawatomi has never spread higher than 20/40, and I was recently at the Canterbury and they spread multiple 30/60 tables. Despite your optimism, the player base in the Milwaukee area really isn't enough to spread the 40 or so tables that Canterbury does. Chicago is still too far away to have loyal regulars attend -- Madison, perhaps, but Chicago, no.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Promote the living bejeezus out of your bigger poker room. lots of players who used to be regulars completely stopped coming because of your small size. They need to know things have changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, things have definitely changed, but improving the poker room is the least of it. The call ahead is really important for Chicago players, bigger poker room or not.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite your optimism, the player base in the Milwaukee area really isn't enough to spread the 40 or so tables that Canterbury does. Chicago is still too far away to have loyal regulars attend -- Madison, perhaps, but Chicago, no

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet $100 that there are at least 2 million people that live within an hour and a half drive from potawatomi (based on cars driving 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit,). I really don't think those numbers are that much bigger within the same driving distance of canterbury. by the way, i think you're forgetting places like kenosha, racine, the north suburbs of chicago and the burbs of milwaukee itself. I'm not saying this to nit pick you by the way. I just think pot admin could probably make a lot of progress if they realized that their room isn't really that much different from canterbury as far as surrounding population goes.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem I had with the place was NO ONE knew what they were doing there.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i was there in the fall of 05. the dealer told me i couldnt use my ipod, as no elecronic devices were allowed. when i asked the dealer why it was OK to have my watch on, i just got a blank stare.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 AM

The poker room expansion has not been completed? That's about a three week job. Bet it's got something to do with the joint being stingy about hiring more dealers.