Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Counter Offensive, How we deter our politicians and keep our game

im in. this is a great idea. ive read like 3 posts about ppl saying online poker is over, and just bendig over and taking it up the ass. [censored] that, we need to fight back any way we can.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am on board, squarehoop. I agree with your analysis, totally. I will be making my donation in Missouri tonight, with an copy of the e-mail going to the republican candidate. Now, how best to spread the word? I figure, at a bare minimum, we need 10,000 people donating an average of $20 each to make some waves. Can we make it happen?

Also, screw the statement. Donations + Your Subject Line = Our Statement

[/ QUOTE ]

We can do it!!!!!! Can we get the PPA to sponsor this idea ???

Indy
Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Great Post! I'm in, but have a request. Just so you know, I am a life long Democrat, but this should not be a bout party politics. Therefore, can we choose a second race where we can support a Republican so the effort is truly bi-partisan. Perhaps someone can find a close House race where the Republican is favorable to our position and we can infulence the outcome of the election with finacial contributions. That way, the effort may be viewed as issue based.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps someone can find a close House race where the Republican is favorable to our position and we can infulence the outcome of the election with finacial contributions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in as well. The most important though at this point is to make sure one party does not control the House, Senate and Presidency so they can't force garbage like this through ever again.

After dinner I will definately make a contribution.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great Post! I'm in, but have a request. Just so you know, I am a life long Democrat, but this should not be a bout party politics. Therefore, can we choose a second race where we can support a Republican so the effort is truly bi-partisan. Perhaps someone can find a close House race where the Republican is favorable to our position and we can infulence the outcome of the election with finacial contributions. That way, the effort may be viewed as issue based.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your sentiment, but we really need to keep it simple. We need to maximize our leverage, too.

I nominate the OP for Post of the Day. Are there any moderators listening?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Great Idea, but wouldnt a donation to the democratic party be more effective? If they were to see a huge influx of money coming from poker players they could spread the word to all democratic candidates and take a stance on the issue. Rather than this being only in MO. Granted its a day late and dollar short for this to effect the upcoming elections but it can send a message that poker players will band together and vote.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 PM

It's not to late. There are places where traditionally GOP seats are up for grabs. Get out and vote and spread the word.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we get the PPA to sponsor this idea ???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a little too late for the PPA to put together something for this election cycle but it is something that Michael at PPA seems to be interested going forward. That is not to say that it is too late for individuals to contribute to specific races to affect things. I highly encourage something like this.

A few weeks ago I met with Berge for lunch and we had a bit of a brainstorming sesson about the merits of a poker player's political action committee and the possible speed bumps. I do not want to put words in Berge's mouth, but I think we both came to the conclusion that a PAC is doable and would defintely aid lobbying efforts.

I contacted Michael at PPA and had a very lengthy discussion about moving forward with a PAC and he seems keen on the idea and is currently exploring this option. I know there are still skeptics out there about the PPA but Michael seems to be really dedicated in his efforts and is doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal. Running a grassroots/lobbying campaign is no easy task and I have seen many groups do a lot worse with many more resources. I know at times it seems like Michael does not go into great detail on this board but I think many are begining to understand that sometimes it is not in an organization's interest to disclose every little detail about their day-to-day doings. We can not deny that the PPA is the best organized group representing poker players and we need to continue to further organize to maximize our ability to change things.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great addition! I could get on board with this, with large contributions if we can set this up as non-partisan, i.e. one of each party, but I do not like singling out one party to blame.

After all, it was a Democrat behind this idea in Washington State, a Republican in Washington DC. The congressional vote was nearly unanimous with one Republican and one Democrat against it.

Edit: I should have read the other posts in this thread first. As I feared it is becoming a Democrat vrs. Republican thing. Most in either party would do this to us, people. The Democrat vrs. Republican thing will not work. My large contributions and I are out if this is another gimmick Democratic Party support thing.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM

I agree, its not about politics anymore, its about freedom, and it slipping away, don't ake it about parties