Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Calling PF raises from the big blind

[ QUOTE ]
One common situation.

Hero is in the BB
Villian is the button and raises first in.
SB folds
Hero defends with K9 by raising...

[/ QUOTE ]

This changes everything, especially when the button will often fold if he misses.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had about 10 hands last night playing .25-.50 when I was in the Big Blind and faced a preflop raise with K-x (offsuit card from 2-9). Is there any situation where I would call with this hand? How many bets/opponents would I need in the pot to make this worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, if you suspect a steal(that is, ask yourself from what position did the raise come from... CO or Button, and where there any other limpers?) If it looks like a steal, you ought to call...i believe i play/call with K6o and stronger or K4s in those situations; if more than one opponent i probably fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would defend with K4s but not K2-3s.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had about 10 hands last night playing .25-.50 when I was in the Big Blind and faced a preflop raise with K-x (offsuit card from 2-9). Is there any situation where I would call with this hand? How many bets/opponents would I need in the pot to make this worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, if you suspect a steal(that is, ask yourself from what position did the raise come from... CO or Button, and where there any other limpers?) If it looks like a steal, you ought to call...i believe i play/call with K6o and stronger or K4s in those situations; if more than one opponent i probably fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would defend with K4s but not K2-3s.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was an arbitrary cut-off point i decided upon for myself...i believe in a heads up situation K4s was in the top 1/3 of the starting hands versus any two cards random cards...it had more to do with deciding how frequently i would defend the blinds versus a steal rather than how powerful the hand is as there is really little difference in K4s v K2s as you note...you may well come up with better decisions for yourself...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One villain did this more than once, and in the future I might try a re-raise to see if it is a steal attempt. If the raise comes from an EP player and 2 others call (3 others call, 4 call), is the pot big enough to call with my BB discount?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! Fold trash hands! K9-K2 are trash, even if they're suited...especially do not play those hands with 4 other donks in the pot. If you have K9 and a King comes out on a rainbow flop, you're beat by KT, KJ, KQ, KK, and AK which are all possibilities when 3 or 4 other villians are in the pot. What are you hoping to gain by calling a raise that three other people have already called? Are you hoping to flop trips, a boat, or a King high flush if you're suited? Sure you might get a King high flush and win sometimes, but a lot of the time you'll be beat by an Ace high flush.

In my first response, I misread your post. I thought you said suited K9-K2, not offsuit (that's even worse). If the action folds to the button and you've seen him raise on a frequent basis, then go ahead and defend with K9o. But in the example you gave me, you're asking if you should call a preflop raise that 3 other people who have position on you already called. Just throw the hand away.

[/ QUOTE ]

A king-high flush is generally a very strong hand(using both hole cards). I think you can call profitable with K9s with several other callers in. It depends on the situation.