Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Position Specific Basketball Skills

I too am not a Suns fan, mostly over the Nash MVP nonsense. Anyways, what rule change are you refering to?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am not a Suns fan, mostly over the Nash MVP nonsense. Anyways, what rule change are you refering to?

[/ QUOTE ]

allowing moving screens, defensive three seconds, no hand checking. im sure theres others.

edit: allowing dwyane wade and allen iverson to carry the ball on crossovers is another big one. i'm looking forward to randy foye being added to this list.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM

Those aren't as much rule changes as referee incompetance.

I almost came to blows with the guy I was guarding last week because he thought his "pro hop" + 2 steps wasn't a travel. How he thinks he can stop dribbling at the 3 point line and still get a layup without traveling is beyond me.

What school do you go to in Oz? I spent a semester at UNSW (and still can't call it "uni").
Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
despite really disliking the suns (mostly just the players, and once Walton started sucking off Nash during broadcasts it sealed it for me)

[/ QUOTE ]
What's not to like about the rest of the roster? Please don't tell me you're a Lakers fan who is upset that Raja Bell gave Kobe what he so richly deserved...
Old 10-16-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
allowing moving screens, defensive three seconds, no hand checking. im sure theres others.

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums it up. Moving screens are an "unofficial" rule. They've always existed to an extent, but they've gotten to the point where it really annoys the hell out of me. In a lot of cases screens aren't even set. Big men just "drift" across the top of the key and pick players off "inadvertently."

Hand checking is a major one. I haven't studied up on exactly how it got implemented, but I know Marc Cuban lobbied for it big time to increase scoring (it started when Nash was his guy). Now little guys like Nash, Parker, Terry, etc. have nearly a free reign on dibble penetration. With small, quick guards the standard operating procedure was to play them tough. Body 'em up. It'd make them tentative to drive, it'd make it harder for them, and perhaps most importantly, it tires them out. Now they can run all day and hardly get touched. Why bang guys down low when a decent PG can always get the ball past the first line of D? It should be open jumpers and layups all day long.

I don't think defensive 3 seconds has too much to do with it. Since previously there was no zone defense allowed, the combined effect of an offensive 3 seconds and man-to-man coverage is basically a defensive 3 seconds. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Of course, there's the travelling, carrying, the "hop-through", and all those new moves too.

These rule changes have really favored the way today's players match up against earlier eras. The truth is, prime time Jordan could probably average 40 with today's rules. Stockton would make Nash look like a poor-man's version of him (he should already, but people are blind. b2b MVP!).
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
despite really disliking the suns (mostly just the players, and once Walton started sucking off Nash during broadcasts it sealed it for me)

[/ QUOTE ]
What's not to like about the rest of the roster? Please don't tell me you're a Lakers fan who is upset that Raja Bell gave Kobe what he so richly deserved...

[/ QUOTE ]

Celtics fan.. so definitely not a Lakers fan.

But I hate Raja.. has an attitude beyond his skill.

I guess I like Stoudemire, and I liked Joe Johnson when he was there.

It's not really that I think they're bad players, they're all solid. I just don't like them for some reason. Marion, Diaw, Raja, Thomas... even that look on D'Antonio's face when he's yelling at the refs. They just annoy me. They all seem like bitches. Nash especially (Kobe yelling at him for copping a 'tude when he got tied up, and then sitting on his head later in the game, was probably the most entertaining sequence of this year's playoffs).
Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except for the hand checking. That's an official rule and has really opened up the lanes and the amount of freedom a guard has. It's the biggest reason of all that guard play/quickness has become the focus for a lot of teams.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM

colin,

OK, to each his own. I can see someone not liking Raja Bell (I do obv) but to specifically not care for guys like Kurt Thomas and Boris Diaw is pretty surprising.

Plus D'Antoni has the most awesome copstache in all the land.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:46 PM

tuq,

to clarify.. it's more like a love-to-hate kind of thing. I enjoy there pressence in the league. I think D'Antoni is a top 3 coach. I love their brand of ball and watching them play. I just like seeing them fail, too.

Thomas is a goof. I'd love Diaw if he were a Celtic.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I almost came to blows with the guy I was guarding last week because he thought his "pro hop" + 2 steps wasn't a travel. How he thinks he can stop dribbling at the 3 point line and still get a layup without traveling is beyond me.

What school do you go to in Oz? I spent a semester at UNSW (and still can't call it "uni").

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to UWA. It's supposedly the "best" university in Australia but I haven't been to any of the others so I wouldn't know first hand.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get NBA torrents?