Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Re: 1k Super Sat Hand at Festa al Lago

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say James views me as what I am, a good young internet player with some live experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, not to derail the thread, but didn't you win a braclet this year at the WSOP?

That's a bit more than "some live experience"

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say "limited live experience" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2006, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if we're playing for stacks, is a c/r better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree with this, and didn't think about it until this morning.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 AM

All,

I think we've established that checking the turn is the play. Exit also makes a good point about possibly checking the flop, although I still think it's a bet.

On the flop, his call can mean a couple different things. Any 8, draw, set, pocket pair between 22-88, overpair, air, hell he can have anything. On the turn I bet mostly because I didn't really want to play this pot out of position after checking because of the pressure he can put on me if I check. By betting, I force him to make a big play at the pot if he wants to bluff, thus making it harder for him to bluff me. Also, I make draws pay or fold, which is a consideration here.

I now think betting was the wrong play even though it's justifiable for sure. The reason I believe that this is a close spot is the ability of my opponent here. Against a normal opponent that you would run into in these satellites, it's a no brainer fold. However, playing against James he can really put pressure because my hand is so well defined on this flop unless I have something big like 33-22, or 32 or T8. Anything 8 virtually has to fold and James knows this. That's why I think the spot is so close.

I'll spill results because they're so one sided, but I still think there's a lot of good discussion room here about the concept in the above paragraph. I folded after a good bit of thought, but went on to get the seat. Go me starting Monday.