Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Ask Mrs. Utah About Birthin\' Babies

[ QUOTE ]
What's the biggest litter you've helped deliver? Twins? Triplets? More?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

I work at a smaller suburban hospital, so we only see twins. Triplets and above will go to hospitals with a Level 3(Neonatal Intensive Care) nursery, as they are considered high risk.
Our sister hospital is the University of Minnesota.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not sure whether you are bound by some confidentiality clause but amusing anecdotes about things you've encountered over the years would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

My all time favorite story.
A woman comes in riding a wheelchair on one butt cheek as she is very close to delivery. So her clothes are being pulled off and she needs to get onto a bed. Her clothes are being thrown to dad who is standing there not knowing what to do in all the chaos. Mom is screaming, nurses yelling...
so in the middle of the chaos everyone suddenly stops and looks at dad. He is standing there wearing mom's materinty dress. When the dress was thrown to him he did not know what to do and he puts it on. His wife just looks at him and yells,
" What the @*#@ are you doing???!!!???"

The nursing staff lost it! Poor dad. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize in advance for this stupid question. I design medical devices, so I should know this, but: what's the deal with water breaking? Does it make a mess? I feel like a damn adolescent for asking this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a stupid question at all.

You never know. Sometimes there is the stereotypical GUSH when it breaks. Other times its a small trickle, depending on where the break is and where the baby is.

If a break is high, a trickle is more likely. Women will often feel like they leaked urine. Sometimes the baby's head is so low it acts like a cork and only a small amount of fluid comes out.

I see patients all the time who thinks that maybe their water has broken and if its not obvious we will send a sample to the lab to confirm this.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not sure whether you are bound by some confidentiality clause but amusing anecdotes about things you've encountered over the years would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

A woman comes in riding a wheelchair on one butt cheek as she is very close to delivery. So her clothes are being pulled off and she needs to get onto a bed. Her clothes are being thrown to dad who is standing there not knowing what to do in all the chaos. Mom is screaming, nurses yelling...
so in the middle of the chaos everyone suddenly stops and looks at dad. He is standing there wearing mom's materinty dress. When the dress was thrown to him he did not know what to do and he puts it on. His wife just looks at him and yells,

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

Have you ever encountered any problems that required you to call security (i.e. someone tries to take baby, someone shows up who mom doesn't want there, etc)?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM

hi! this is Mrs Dcasper [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am a little concerned about the snipping 'down there' to make a wider opening for the baby to come out. does that happen all of the time? Of all things that I am skeeved out about with delivering the baby, that it the worst. That, and the potential to have a BM while pushing. <hope that's not too much info> I heard that you can use an enema when your water first breaks or when you just start going into labor. what are yor thoughts on that?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM

How do doctors feel about midwives? Do they think midwives are intrusive? Also, are midwives legal in all states and do you know how long it takes to become a ceritified midwife?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a little concerned about the snipping 'down there' to make a wider opening for the baby to come out. does that happen all of the time? Of all things that I am skeeved out about with delivering the baby, that it the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]Ughhh....easily the most disturbing post in 2+2 history. I knew better than to come to this thread. Lesson learned. I do not let Mrs. Utah talk about work at home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

Have you ever encountered any problems that required you to call security (i.e. someone tries to take baby, someone shows up who mom doesn't want there, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had a few patients that had orders of protection, but never had anyone show up at the hospital that was not supposed to.

I did have a patient who was put on a 24 hour hold when she made statements about hurting herself and the FOB(father of baby). She was, imo, just venting...very young and alone. Lots of social issues and eventually she began to trust me, let me start an IV to treat her(why she was there in the first place), contact Social Services etc...then the on call doctor takes the next step and puts her on a hold.

Security has to come up and search her things...its all very humiliating.

I was not happy, because if she needed to come back in the future because she was ill, or there might be a problem with the pregnancy she may not come back because she would not trust us. I think she know how I felt without me saying it...because she still allowed me to take care of her and when she saw me the next night, she was happy to see me.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ughhh....easily the most disturbing post in 2+2 history.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree

Edit: If you're my wife, do not click above link...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ughhh....easily the most disturbing post in 2+2 history.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree

Edit: If you're my wife, do not click above link...

[/ QUOTE ]Dear God. You win and it isn't even close. Dialin a therapist now....