Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Jacks - King on Flop, now what?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 PM

You should see this by the point of view of MP1. He sees 2 limpers and thinks his hand is good enough to raise 5BB so he does it. Now the pot has 170. Then you raise to 200. The pot now contains 370 and it cost him only... I repeat ONLY 100 to call. That's almost 4:1 pot odds (assuming UTG would have folded) so what hand would raise PF after to limpers and fold to 4:1? I really don't have an answer for that. Hope I make it a little clearer.

Best wishes.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right mother [censored].

I've been learning!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am confused.

BB is t20, MP1 raised to t100 (5xBB), I reraised to t200 (10xBB).

Am I reading correct that I need to raise pre-flop almost 20-30xBB? It seems like a HUGE raise in proportion to the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Once there is a raise in front of you, your raise needs to be in proportion to that raise, not to the big blind.
It's been well explained how and why already, though, so I won't get into the details.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM

As Nath said, BB proportion only applies to an opening raise PF. After that, you are betting/raising based on pot size and previous bet/raise sizes. Anytime you are only doubling the size of a previous bet/raise, you are only minraising, and in effect giving great odds for the previous bettor to call you.

You may want that bettor to enter the pot with you, but you don't want him to do so correctly (ie get the right odds to call). You make money (or chips) when you force your opponent to play incorrectly. A minraise rarely (if ever) accomplishes this as it pretty much allows even complete donks to make the right decision (albeit unknowingly).

P.S. As played, bet about 1/2 pot on the flop, fold to a reraise. On the turn, check/fold if UI. If somehow you get to the river UI, look for a cheap showdown.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Thanks all, I think I was too focused on the BB amount and I did the minraise. As patchdiaz said, I needed to put myself into MP1's space... 100 more into a 370 pot, not bad at all!

I am a big boy now.

What is RSI?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 PM

How long have you been playing poker Moreau?

Just curious.

A lot of people assume that others who post here are grizzled veterans that have advanced questions.

Based on your play, it seems you're a bit new, right?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM

What's generally pleasing to see is people are actually helping this guy out. He's gone to the effort of posting the hand to find out if what he did was incorrect.

Like many other people have said, if you choose to re-raise, it's usually a good idea to reraise proportionally to the initial raise.

That is, in this case, the initial raise was to 100 (5xBB), your reraise should then be to between 360-500 depending on your opponant, his stack, your stack and other factors you might wish to include.

On the flop, it's usually a good idea to bet whats known as a continuation bet. You re-raised preflop and by "continuation betting" after the flop, you are showing the same strength you did before the flop. This can be any amount, but most people prefer to pick a value between 50% and 100% of the pot. Try and change the amount you continuation bet to keep your opponants guessing.
In this case, you bet 600 when the pot was only ~450. If your opponant has a King, you arent going to scare him off with any size bet. Making a smaller bet, say about 300, would be enough to scare him off if he doesn't have a King.

If you find your opponant has check raised your continuation bet, it's probably safe to say he has a King, and you should fold.

Hope this has been some help, good luck in future. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 PM

I have been playing for about 2-3 years, but the past 2 years I have been a losing player. This year I am break-even, and really focused on improving my game. I am trying to read as much as possible (2+2 and HOH I,II,III) and take my game to the next level.

I have played around 500 hours this year online and a handful of live tournaments. Most of my online play is confined to $1 to $10 multitable tournaments, most of my live tournaments have been $200-$500 entry. I played Absolute Poker almost exclusively until August, when I moved to PokerStars... I have built my inital $80 deposit to $300 since then.

I work full-time, so poker is something I try to squish in 30-50 hours a week. I do not play cash games.

---

The funny part of this posting is, I did not think I did anything wrong pre-flop and now I have learned that indeed... I should have been more agressive pre-flop. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Btw, I bet t600 on the flop and took this hand down uncontested.

[/ QUOTE ]

To big flop bet, I'd say less will accomplish the same result.