Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Tell me stuff about going to Shanghai.

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai is the most cosmopolitan of the mainland Chinese cities. The Shanghainese think of themselves the way New Yorkers do in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what i can tell so far, this is spot on. My wife is actually scared of "farm people".

"They are dirty and uncivilized" I believe is how she put it . lol I told her to get out back and pick me some tomatoes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The food there is great. Do not be afraid of eating odd things. They're just odd to you. The pigeon is very good. (since you brought it up) and night market type food is a great way to sample true local items.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably try the pidgeon, because she will make me, but I am staying far away from the crab brain/stomach/heart whatever the [censored] it is that she loves. I'll pick the tomoatoes that night [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Really looking forward to some real Dim Sum though and some Shanghainese Dumplings. mmmmmmmmm

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai is unspeakably crowded. It takes a long time to get anywhere although there's a new, very modern train to get you in from the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

The train is going to be awesome. We are planning on taking to the airport when leaving. 240+ MPH....nice I wish i could put a penny on the tracks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I the crouds will be something I'll need to get use too. I generally do not like people [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and the thought of a billion screaming chinamen invading my personal space does not appeal to me. I really wish we where able to check out the Three Gorges Dam this trip, but it doesn't look like it. Next time for sure though. I must see it.

[ QUOTE ]
Business class is a very fair consideration if you're six feet tall or more. Good deals can be found if you hunt around and keep in mind that business to Asia is typically 50% of what you'd pay to Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5'10"/135....you know...so twice the size of the average asian [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Think they'll make me buy 2 seats??? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally do not like people [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and the thought of a billion screaming chinamen invading my personal space does not appeal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your visiting Flushing Queens?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally do not like people and the thought of a billion screaming chinamen invading my personal space does not appeal to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your visiting Flushing Queens?

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahahahhahahahah, so true... I have to travel through there every day. Smells so bad during the morning. I'm asian and I still hate these old asian ppl trying to squeeze in front of me to get a seat on the train.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if random people on the street come up to talk to you just walk away, it's a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, the commons are some one wants to show you their art, or a couple of hot chicks want you to buy them a drink. don't

I wasn't there for long but I thought the city kinda sucked. I dunno about now but it was very humid and smoggy a few months ago and a bit too hot
Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally do not like people and the thought of a billion screaming chinamen invading my personal space does not appeal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

...they've passed 1.3 billion now.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if random people on the street come up to talk to you just walk away, it's a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I just look at them like I don't enderstand a word they are saying?? Cause...well...i wont.

[ QUOTE ]
GO to the cloud 9 bar on top of the grand hyatt. Best view I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think she said this too. I'm looking forward to taking a ton of pictures...

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai's got a great view but the people blow. Just don't trust anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't trusted anyone for 38 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this include the girl your with now?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai is the most cosmopolitan of the mainland Chinese cities. The Shanghainese think of themselves the way New Yorkers do in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what i can tell so far, this is spot on. My wife is actually scared of "farm people".

"They are dirty and uncivilized" I believe is how she put it . lol I told her to get out back and pick me some tomatoes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The food there is great. Do not be afraid of eating odd things. They're just odd to you. The pigeon is very good. (since you brought it up) and night market type food is a great way to sample true local items.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probably try the pidgeon, because she will make me, but I am staying far away from the crab brain/stomach/heart whatever the [censored] it is that she loves. I'll pick the tomoatoes that night [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Really looking forward to some real Dim Sum though and some Shanghainese Dumplings. mmmmmmmmm

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai is unspeakably crowded. It takes a long time to get anywhere although there's a new, very modern train to get you in from the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

The train is going to be awesome. We are planning on taking to the airport when leaving. 240+ MPH....nice I wish i could put a penny on the tracks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I the crouds will be something I'll need to get use too. I generally do not like people [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and the thought of a billion screaming chinamen invading my personal space does not appeal to me. I really wish we where able to check out the Three Gorges Dam this trip, but it doesn't look like it. Next time for sure though. I must see it.

[ QUOTE ]
Business class is a very fair consideration if you're six feet tall or more. Good deals can be found if you hunt around and keep in mind that business to Asia is typically 50% of what you'd pay to Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5'10"/135....you know...so twice the size of the average asian [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Think they'll make me buy 2 seats??? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence but your not twice the size of an average asian.
5 ft 6.8 in according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, the commons are some one wants to show you their art, or a couple of hot chicks want you to buy them a drink. don't

I wasn't there for long but I thought the city kinda sucked. I dunno about now but it was very humid and smoggy a few months ago and a bit too hot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with all of the construction going on (I believe that roughly 20% of the city is 'under construction') the smog will be there for some time to come.

It has cooled considerably though this past month and when we go in late Nov/early Dec., the rains will be coming. This should help the air quality and limit street pedestrian traffic (I don't mind walking in the rain at all).

The wife has informed my that I will be buying no hot chicks drinks except her. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I told her I'd think about it.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I just look at them like I don't enderstand a word they are saying?? Cause...well...i wont.

[ QUOTE ]
GO to the cloud 9 bar on top of the grand hyatt. Best view I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think she said this too. I'm looking forward to taking a ton of pictures...

[ QUOTE ]
Shanghai's got a great view but the people blow. Just don't trust anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't trusted anyone for 38 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this include the girl your with now?

[/ QUOTE ]

For now, she's safe. But, once again Chris Rock provides us a valuable lesson....

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle B., years old, hates
the white people, married to a white lady.

And he sits around going,
''These crackers ain't [censored], except for Susie.''

He tried to explain
the whole thing to me one day.

He said, ''Yeah, l got a white wife. l love her,
she love me. That's all that matters.

''But l'll tell you this:
if the revolution ever come, l'll kill her first...

''just to show these crackers
l mean business!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if random people on the street come up to talk to you just walk away, it's a scam.[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They speak English, so you'll have to pretend to be Italian or something