View Poll Results: % of Villains that don't fold to the pot bet
0%-20% 3 6.52%
20%-40% 7 15.22%
40%-60% 9 19.57%
60%-80% 15 32.61%
80%-100% 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Monster chiplead question? (poll)

I choose 50/100. Shorties are short but not quite desperate, and there's more room to be exploited. They can't see many flops, but at the same time not short enough to be pushing everything. At 100-200 they'll be pushing too much for your stack advantage to play a role.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM

If my opponents play too tight or poorly preflop, I'd want the blinds to be 100-200. If they play loose or poorly postflop 5-10.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a very good player, 5-10 is the correct answer. Smaller blinds are always better for experienced and skilled players.(assuming your opponents are relativley bad)

If you donked your way to the t10,000, then 100/200 is the correct answer. As a bad player you can not outplay more experienced players with small blinds. You need them to be big so it becomes more of a crapshoot and your lack of skill can not be taken advantage of as much.

BakingAce, for example, would prefer to have the blinds as high as possible. 500/1000 maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

HU for 1k? and no I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahah

it cant be this easy to push your buttons.

only if we can play deep stacked so i can expoit your awfleness.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:31 PM

I picked 25/50. This puts your opponents all in the orange zone which limits most of their ability to make moves, but leaves them with enough breathing room that they can get invovled in pots and get away from them (which means YOU have the ability to make moves). Meanwhile, you can play all kinds of speculative hands and apply pressure in every hand in which you're invovled.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't imagine the relevance of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say you are chiplead and you take a very long time acting so the blinds go up? or vice versa?
Or you are at a home game cheating =-)
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked 25/50. This puts your opponents all in the orange zone which limits most of their ability to make moves, but leaves them with enough breathing room that they can get invovled in pots and get away from them (which means YOU have the ability to make moves). Meanwhile, you can play all kinds of speculative hands and apply pressure in every hand in which you're invovled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff is thinking along the lines I was. I chose 25/50 as well.

If blinds are 100/200, then your opponents are going to start pushing, and start building their stacks, and you'll wind up against one, maybe two decent sized stacks that can hurt yours enough that you can no longer bully the table.

50/100 is a bit too high, as they can also push or most any raise is going to almost pot-commit them.

With 25/50, the blinds are high enough to begin slowly affecting their stacks, but not high enough for them to be in push or fold mode. This means you can more effectively bully then and increase your stack in the process.

And if they do get all their chips in, then you can be fairly sure that they have a legit hand (whereas if the blinds were higher, their hands could be anything, so there's more guesswork and more veritable coin-flips).

So you can bully them with 25/50 blinds, but also avoid doubling any of them up when played back at.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM

so you're picking up 75 each time you steal, but if the blinds were 100/200, the shorties would erase each other while you played another tournament, and you could just play back when sb called or if a couple tried to limp...otherwise, you just sit back and play back when someone gets competitive. I'm not saying this is the best choice if you have all day for this tournament, but it sure is easier with the 100/200 blinds.

I don't care how good you are, the 100/200 blinds afford you more time after the tournament to play other tournaments or to relax or whatever, and as I rate my time as having value, I'd love to get the donkament over with.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you're picking up 75 each time you steal, but if the blinds were 100/200, the shorties would erase each other while you played another tournament, and you could just play back when sb called or if a couple tried to limp...otherwise, you just sit back and play back when someone gets competitive. I'm not saying this is the best choice if you have all day for this tournament, but it sure is easier with the 100/200 blinds.

I don't care how good you are, the 100/200 blinds afford you more time after the tournament to play other tournaments or to relax or whatever, and as I rate my time as having value, I'd love to get the donkament over with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends on the payout. Since most payouts are ridiculously skewed towards 1st-3rd place (assuming a large-field MTT) then I'm trying to maximize my value in this tournament, not worry about hurrying up and getting it over with.

In large field MTT's it's not easy to be in this type of position where you have a top three spot locked up. You should be doing everything you can to maximize your chances at first place, rather than hurrying up to play more tournaments where you likely won't be in this envious position constantly.

Why blow this, when these are the things that make tournaments profitable?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM

I think the larger the blinds the better, your equity in this tournament assuming a 5/3/2 payout is about 3.8, if 2 of the 4 players quadrouple up off of each other, it becomes 4.0, if one doubles off of the other, it become 4.1.

I would want blinds around 300/600 at this point or so.

I think that if blinds are something like 100/200/25, such that you still have fold equity, it may be more profitable if the opponents are bad enough, but assuming competent opponents, I think you want to drive the blinds up and players out.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the larger the blinds the better, your equity in this tournament assuming a 5/3/2 payout is about 3.8, if 2 of the 4 players quadrouple up off of each other, it becomes 4.0, if one doubles off of the other, it become 4.1.

I would want blinds around 300/600 at this point or so.

I think that if blinds are something like 100/200/25, such that you still have fold equity, it may be more profitable if the opponents are bad enough, but assuming competent opponents, I think you want to drive the blinds up and players out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The higher blinds just forces you and the other players into confrontations with all sorts of hands (i.e. it becomes more about luck and less about skill)

I'd rather be able to chip away at them bit by bit, and increase my own stack while they're all trying to survive and last a few more money spots, than have them forced to push with any two and wind up having a few of them get stacks large enough to threaten my own in a short time.

With blinds at 25/50, you can be pretty sure if one of these guys plays back at you that they have a hand that's stronger than your bullying hand.

As such, you can fold and lose very little and keep them from building strong stacks to threaten you.

If the blinds are 100/200 and you raise to 500 or 600 and get pushed against for 1K, you have to call with pot odds and now you might have built someone up over 2K while dropping yourself down to 9K, and this can repeat ad naseum as your chip stack dwindles (or if you stay out of the fireworks, you'll still likely have to contend with stacks of 4K or higher against your 9-11K stack, which isn't all that great)

With blinds at 25/50, you raise to 150 and you can get out cheap if you're played back at and you're just stealing, and you don't really let them build their stacks up in any significant way either.

You're afforded more time to allow skill to play out, rather than have it feel like some donkfest turbo.