Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Tight is not helping me

[ QUOTE ]
playing with bad players is so hard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since my skills are limited I'll be stuck at the 11s for good. 11s = bad players. Bad players = bad plays, loose calls. Loose calls to a pushbot = tilt.

Until I read that "Your opponents never make mistakes" post. It was me who was making the mistakes by not assinging Villain's with proper ranges.

Hmm. Why am I replying to this post? What is my point? I'm losing it.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 AM

As AMT said, just play it tight early and when you do hit a hand (any hand if they are calling stations) value bet value bet value bet. Pushbot late, problem solved.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 AM

sounds like an easy game....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the most helpful response yet!!!

The only problem is that it does not help at all.

I took the time to describe the game and situation so that you could suggest an adjustment that I had not tried or thought of. I am not looking for hugs or pity because I am having no success with these players using the style I described. I am looking for the correct way to adjust to these players. This is a serious post on my part so I would ask you to once again try to offer me a response that is serious and critical enough of my play that I might improve my game. Thanks

Edit> I did not see the replys on page two of this thread.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Your problem is your sample size. Even if you played the 100% proper strategy you could run negative/break even over 100 tournys. That's a lot for live tourneys (= 50 consecutive days).

Value raise is the key. Be braced to suffer to a lot of suck outs.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 AM

I am value betting and trying to play the best hands in position. It is very difficult to suffer those suck outs even if you are prepared for them. What are your thoughts on more limping with strong hands rather than raising first in. Against this player in particular a raise means nothing to him. If he was going to play his 39o then he will cold call it everytime and maybe raise it.

By value betting I am getting $$ in the pot at the end and exploiting his calling behavior. I wonder if playing light preflop and on the flop would keep him from getting a big stack early. I hate that the universe takes so long to become normal again.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Move up to where they respect your raises.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Play the $6.50s on Stars for a while as a training tool, as AMT said Value bet with strong hands early and pushbot late game.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am value betting and trying to play the best hands in position. It is very difficult to suffer those suck outs even if you are prepared for them. What are your thoughts on more limping with strong hands rather than raising first in. Against this player in particular a raise means nothing to him. If he was going to play his 39o then he will cold call it everytime and maybe raise it.

By value betting I am getting $$ in the pot at the end and exploiting his calling behavior. I wonder if playing light preflop and on the flop would keep him from getting a big stack early. I hate that the universe takes so long to become normal again.

[/ QUOTE ]

reading your original post as well as this one makes me think you fail to understand the ideas behind betting your strong hands hard aka value betting. obviously suck outs are tough to deal with. i play up to 12 games at a time, of course i take awful beats every session (as well as put some out there, 'tis the nature of tournaments), but my point is, value betting your good hands and watching your opponent call with all kinds of trash FORCES him to make a mistake. you are playing according to the fundamental theorem of poker, which basically states that every time your opponent plays a hand the same way he would if he saw your cards, he wins, and on the same account every time he would not, you win, and the same goes for you with him. If you have a big hand and keep betting, based on the way you describe it, you are constantly forcing him into big decisions and inducing errors from him. Personally it sounds to me like you should just be betting big, big amounts with your big holdings and getting all your money in with big hands. let him draw to bad hands, sure youll get sucked out on, but itll even out and YOU'LL be the one doubling early when he pays you with his trash. dont stop betting your good hands against this guy, please. bet hard and big and fast, and he'll pay dearly for playing the way he does.