Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Seems like this guy got jailed for trolling

Well, it's UK, so the 1st ammendmant dosn't apply, but IMO freedom of speech does inlude the freedom to post racist garbage on the internet. The person arrested was almost certainly a douche, but I don't think what he did warrants criminal prosecution. I am absolutely opposed to "hate speech" legislation, with a possible exception of such speech delivered in person with the intent of inciting a fight. Even that exception id pretty iffy, IMO.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys, now that we've had our fun, lets stop throwing around the troll accusations. Calling someone a troll is considered a personal attack in the new sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

aw, iron......For cripes sakes!!!

C'mon man. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 PM

so what? we cant offend people now without going to jail?

I dont get it.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:24 PM

This is England and the 1st ammendment doesn't apply. Presumably he was prosecuted for racism, which is now a crime in some places. Obviously, the guy is a real jerk, but that is not illegal everywhere.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 AM

The guy posted it on a memorial website - likely set up by family and/or friends. Spewing crap like that there is a bit different than coming here or another public forum. He's apparently a pedophile as well. Probably a sociopath.

If your kid was murdered and this guy came to your house and said the same sorts of things - is that OK? Even if it weren't your kid - is it OK for someone to show up at your doorstep and act like a moron? I'm betting most of you would either kick his ass or kick his ass and then have him arrested.

That all said, he, and society would probably be better served with psychiatric treatment.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:44 PM

Just in case some of you were unaware of this, a law slipped through the cracks earlier this year. Create an e-annoyance--go to jail

In a nutshell, you can't flame on a message board without disclosing your real identity. The law states

[ QUOTE ]
Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just one of many laws that have slipped through the cracks without much fanfare under this Congress. I am thinking that a few people may be going to jail on a lot of poker sites if this law is enforced to the letter of the law. I guess you are allowed to harass and annoy, but just give out your name. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys, now that we've had our fun, lets stop throwing around the troll accusations. Calling someone a troll is considered a personal attack in the new sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they actually are a troll?