Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: TILT

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, your bad run might be some sort of punishment for your avatar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...but its prob just FT's doomswitch

Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 PM

I admit I'm a compulsive PT stat checker. I'm always checking profit (or loss) and # of hands for the day while I'm playing. When I'm running bad, seeing that -$800 or whatever for the day while I'm playing can give my confidence a bit of a hit. So I use the handy date range and set it for the month, or all time or something along those lines. Suddenly when I see how much I've made that month, $800 doesn't seem to bad and it puts everything into perspective. After that, the $800 just seems like what it is, a statistical blip and I can get back to playing my best game.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, pls change your avatar. its wierding me out

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, your bad run might be some sort of punishment for your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like, seriously. PLEEEEZE.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM

well put very nice
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to control this type of situation is not to change your play at all. At all times you want to make the decision that maximizes your overall expectation, when you are down its sometimes hard to see poker as a game of making correct decisions. It is crucial at this point to minimize your losses. Lets say you lose $800 That is much better then $1200, at the time it wont feel this way in fact the extra $400 will seem like nothing. We all know though this is not the case that extra $400 is losing 50% extra. In conclusion just make the best possible decisions you can, losing is a part of the game we must all except. As long as you always make quality decisions you will win in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you all are saying and I couldnt agree more. I'm not here to complain about my right decisions getting run out by bad luck, I'm concerned about me NOT making good decisions, due to losses / bad play.

Do you see what I mean?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 PM

I understand exactly what you are saying. Just remind yourself that raising UTG with that J5o isnt going to get you to win your money back you are just going to lose your money. Back when I started playing I had the same problem. The way I fixed it was to keep a stickey note over my computer which said "Poker is a game of making correct decisions and maximizing your overall expectation". In times when I was down a lot of money I just reminded myself how going on tilt would just cause me to lose more. You have to just keep cool, and play the game you know how to play.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Just stop tilting. It is not that hard, despite what many think.

If you are young, then maybe all the tretosterone is to blame and there's probably little you can do about it.

But if you are over, say, 24, you should be able to control your emotions.

FWIW, I never tilt. Never. The feeling of liberation you feel at controlling this utterly useless emotion is enormous.

Just, don't tilt. Rinse, repeat. It's really not a big deal.

On edit: Ok, we get it with the avatar. Very good. Now just change it dude. It's bloody horrible and will put me off reading your threads.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM

My advice:

When you feel you're not playing your A game, stop playing. Go to PokerTracker and review your hands. You'll feel like an idiot when looking back those loosing hands, and your game is back on track again.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I admit I'm a compulsive PT stat checker. I'm always checking profit (or loss) and # of hands for the day while I'm playing. When I'm running bad, seeing that -$800 or whatever for the day while I'm playing can give my confidence a bit of a hit. So I use the handy date range and set it for the month, or all time or something along those lines. Suddenly when I see how much I've made that month, $800 doesn't seem to bad and it puts everything into perspective. After that, the $800 just seems like what it is, a statistical blip and I can get back to playing my best game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in using PT alot, I do it too (especially when I'm winning LOL). I mostly use it to check in which hands I made mistakes and which hands I shouldnt be playing like that / in that pos.

Using it to boost my confidence doesnt really work for me, since I know when I play goot or baaad. I'm not seeing it as baing up for the month (or even for my poker career) its more like 'not being up more' or 'being down' due to bad play.

Thanks for your comments,

<---IWS
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just stop tilting. It is not that hard, despite what many think.

If you are young, then maybe all the tretosterone is to blame and there's probably little you can do about it.

But if you are over, say, 24, you should be able to control your emotions.

FWIW, I never tilt. Never. The feeling of liberation you feel at controlling this utterly useless emotion is enormous.

Just, don't tilt. Rinse, repeat. It's really not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way but you have to put yourself in his shoes. His emotions take over his knowledge once he reaches a certain threshold. Even the top pros have this problem. You just have to remind yourself that tilting will only make matters worse.