Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Ban video

I posted this in another forum before I saw this video. I think it couldn't apply more.

I said...
I have a long family history of politics and I actually DEAL with all of these politicians. I've interfaced with them, been to many of their houses. On both sides of the isle they are of course charismatic and polite when dealing with them (well most of them). How the function however is much different of course from how they appear. I will say that I don't see the same slime ball tactics use by Democrats that Republicans use. That's not to say that Democrats are "moral" or that I support their party. I unfortunately have to take a pragmatic approach and align myself with democrats so that the working people of this country can be thrown a bone, and that's sad. What worse is that most Republicans (and that means 99% of them) shoot themselves in the foot by voting for a party that is continually try to strip them of their working conditions, fair pay, pensions, and freedoms. Its sick how blinding BELIEF can be.

A standard tactic used by Republicans that's NOT used by Democrats is to sneak legislation into bills that are not related to the bill. They typically do this in bills that they know are of importance to the American people. This way if Democrats vote against the bill for not being clean, they can sound off in the media that democrats don't care about X issue.

In this current case with the online gaming legislation, it would be, "Democrats don't care about port security or the safety of this country, etc..." When in reality they would reject the bill because it's not clean and would like a revision. Yet reality doesn't matter in the sound bite media. This is slime ball politics and Republicans have played this the best for decades. I've watched it occur a hundred times. I hope more of you become aware because you are now DIRECTLY affected by how this party functions.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM

she may have voted for the port bill this 2nd time around, but when the actual IG bill was up she voted against it.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 PM

great video! I'm glad she's representing my state. I'm also in shock that I agree with a woman democrat....
Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 PM

She may be ugly, but she gave me a semi with that speech.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry my mistake. Continue to flame away at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's making a stupid joke based on the things his party tells him to regurgitate... flip-flop...

btw, read my post in this thread if you need to know why democrats get stuck between a rock and a hard place and how Republicans use these kind of slime ball tactics. Also note that you will hear ALL of the democrats give rational, intelligent retorts to how the Republians function (if you watch CNN enough), but they are as a party in a tough position on many issues.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:21 PM

the 1 that voted against port security should be drug out and shot with frist.
i commend her for speaking out and hope this turns into, at least an issue in up coming elections.

perhaps it's possible we have a 1-2 break from party and at some point get our rights back??
Old 10-03-2006, 05:26 PM

I don't know where this belief that modern day right wing conservatives are all anti-gambling. I'm as far right as possible and a born-again Christian and I'm definatly not anti-poker/anti-gambling. On top of that all my friends and everyone at my home game is in the same boat as myself and we all hold the same feelings about poker/gambling. To take it one step further, I live in the heard of the Bible belt and I would be shocked if even the majority of the people at my Southern Baptist church are anti-gambling.

And to say that pushing this thru the backdoor like they did has something to do with an election is silly. First off, I don't believe the Rep. base even cares and on top of that, I don't think they will ever even know about this law. It's big news to us because we play but you don't see this being on the front page of every newspaper and cable news channel. It really doesn't matter at all to avg. Rep. voter. This isn't an hot button issue like abortion, gun control or taxes to a conservative.

That all being said, I'm as mad as anyone else and even madder because a couple Reps. used their power to push this thru the backdoor. This was just a pet project for a small handful of these reps. and senators and they forced it thru because of their power and they know it would not pass on a vote of it's own. That is just plain wrong but that's typical politics, no matter what side you are on. The Dems were definatly in the right in this situation.....ok you know what I mean when I say "right".lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh BTW, other than this lady thinking this was a huge issue with the Replublican base, I think she's dead right about the un-ethical backdoor tactics used to push this law thru on the coattails of an important bill.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM

FreakDaddy, outstanding post. You got it all right. If one wonders how low the Republicans will go, I don't know if there really is a low point.

E.Z., once rights are given up, they are seldom returned.

We've lost it, and there's basically nothing we can do to get it back in the short term. This has all be ongoing since Reagan was elected in 1980. That's right, 26 years. It started with Goldwater, back in the mid-60's, when Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The country has always been conservative, going back to the Puritans. It's just for the first time, the really rich have found a way to use the sheep for cover, and have effectively ended any chance for the middle-class.

It will take generations for a reversal, and probably won't in my lifetime. The rich give nothing back. They accuse Democrats of "class warfare." Well, that's what it's been, only the rich won it. They own everything, and have the political ability to keep it. It's over. We lost.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It started with Goldwater, back in the mid-60's

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt Goldwater would stand what has happend to the Republican Party today.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM

The democrats aren't slipping unrelated stuff into vital bills because, being the minority in both houses, they can't. They have done so in the past when they were in control. Don't get me wrong. I have been totally disgusted with the Republicans for a few years now. The only good thing about the online gambling is that a lot of poker players who have been voting Republican because they believe the Republicans are conservatives are finally realizing what the theocrats are trying to do to this country.

Unfortunately, it seems that most people don't care about the rapid erosion of civil liberties until it impacts them personally. A lot of people seem to take the view that both sides are equally bad. I think that was true up until 12 years ago, but since the republicans took control of Congress in 1994, they gave become, IMO, far worse than the Democrats ever were, and seem to be hell-bent on destroying everything that made this country great. They overplayed their hand at first, with the government shutdown and the impeachment of Clinton, but since then they have become very devious and dishonest. I'm afraid that a lot of people, like many here, won't get it until something impacts them personally, and by then it may be too late.