Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Sports Arbitrage

please explain what arbitrage is
Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 PM

Okay, so you worked on some unsuccessful models. I'm glad you are an expert. There are people who will clear over 40k in a year on a 20k bankroll with under 100 hours a month.

There are also people who will work a ton and do over 100k on a much larger bankroll.

I'd say if you know what you are doing you could make 15k easily under 6 months starting with 10k in under 50 hours per month.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Why would you need models to arb? Isn't it just a question of simultaneously betting lines at different books to guarantee a profit?

Do the models predict when lines will move, or what?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:33 PM

You should work on your facts and your arguements would look even better. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

To kyleb, I am real curious what in the world these "models" could be. They are seriously flawed in whatever the case.

If I told you I know multiple people clearing well over 250k a year, would you believe me?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should work on your facts and your arguements would look even better. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

To kyleb, I am real curious what in the world these "models" could be. They are seriously flawed in whatever the case.

If I told you I know multiple people clearing well over 250k a year, would you believe me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to set a low floor for a potential prop bet. Did not work out.

People can make much money.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No - Unless I'm missing something huge.

I arb'd quite a bit in the past using one of the paid subscription services. I found it stressfull and not very profitable considering the time I put in. Nobody using the service I was using were making that kind of money.

You/they must be finding the arbs yourself and putting huge sums on to make 250k/year. And how do you deal with situations where one side of the bet is cancelled leaving you exposed?

Also, how do you not get banned/restricted by the bookies? I had many of my winning accounts closed or my bet sizes were restricted to such a level that it wasn't worth continuing
Old 10-19-2006, 11:29 AM

t,

I don't think you are very good at what you do. People use subscription services to add small random arbs throughout the day that may add a little bit to their overall take. Almost all arbs are found/shared manually.

Eventually most books will ban you... Some won't. There are only like 400 books so you can always keep checking.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
t,

I don't think you are very good at what you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not claiming to be good at it. Just sharing my experience.

[ QUOTE ]
People use subscription services to add small random arbs throughout the day that may add a little bit to their overall take. Almost all arbs are found/shared manually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manually, as in trawling through all the odds? Seems like this would take forever. Are you working in teams to speed this process up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Manually, as in trawling through all the odds? Seems like this would take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it takes forever. It's like anything else. The more you put into something the more you get out of it. Do you want to sit at your computer for 9 hrs on Sat + Sun? People who 12 table NL$1000 8 hrs a day make tons more money than a player playing 2 tables of NL$50 for a half hour here and there.

It's not easy to break 6 figures if you aren't willing to dedicate yourself to it, but it isn't all that difficult if you do.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 PM

listen to the Boot.