Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: changing to 6-MAX

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh plz change avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOO WAY...just dont look at it overandoverandoverandoveroverandoverandoverandover overandoverandoverandoveroverandoverandoverandover again....

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, okay. Anyway, to answer your question, I made the switch from full-ring to 6max about 5 months ago. Basically you just need to open a lot more pots in position and try to win lots of small pots. Also, realize that the switch from 10 players to 6 players changes your relative hand values pretty significantly. At full ring there are so many times where it's correct to laydown overpairs and make big folds, but at 6 max you need to be willing to take more hands to the felt. There's probably a lot more, but you should be able to pick it up fine. It's still poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx dude, lookin for stuff like this...I play pretty aggro FR opening alot of pots IP, so that wouldnt be much of a change.
You're pretty much saying that you would be folding alot less postflop (in terms of OP vs set or whatever...), I think this would make playing these OP easier (right?). This prob has another side to it, as it implies that bluffing would be harder because your oponnents are folding less...(TPTK / TPMK) (?).

What about hands like KJ / KQ s/o how much value is in these hands in 6MAX games, I'm not a big fan of these hands. How would you normally play these ranges...

BTW: how did you do the first couple of weeks after your change, was it a big adjustment?

THX for your advice so far man, apreciate it.

<---IWS

[/ QUOTE ]

In some ways bluffing actually becomes easier at 6max. Pay attention to players who call with a wide range on the flop, like bottom pair, or two overs, or even just a backdoor draw. These players are great opponents to double barrel because you know just because they called on the flop it doesn't mean they have a good hand. It also becomes easier because since everyone is playing more hands there's a greater chance no one hit the flop. Of course though you don't really ever have to bluff to win at SSNL, so don't overdo it.

About KQ/KJ hands, check out this short article JDags wrote, pretty good stuff: http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=33

When I made the switch I don't really remember it being that big of an adjustment. I was playing 100nl FR at the time so while I was playing full ring I'd open up one or two 50nl 6max games just to try things out. Oh, I do remember trying to outplay people too much when I first switched. Like I tried to win every pot I played because I had this idea that you had to be super-super-aggressive in shorthanded, and that just caused me to spew. Pretty soon I settled down and now I can't believe I used to play full-ring. 6max is soooo much better.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In some ways bluffing actually becomes easier at 6max. Pay attention to players who call with a wide range on the flop, like bottom pair, or two overs, or even just a backdoor draw. These players are great opponents to double barrel because you know just because they called on the flop it doesn't mean they have a good hand. It also becomes easier because since everyone is playing more hands there's a greater chance no one hit the flop. Of course though you don't really ever have to bluff to win at SSNL, so don't overdo it.

About KQ/KJ hands, check out this short article JDags wrote, pretty good stuff: http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=33

When I made the switch I don't really remember it being that big of an adjustment. I was playing 100nl FR at the time so while I was playing full ring I'd open up one or two 50nl 6max games just to try things out. Oh, I do remember trying to outplay people too much when I first switched. Like I tried to win every pot I played because I had this idea that you had to be super-super-aggressive in shorthanded, and that just caused me to spew. Pretty soon I settled down and now I can't believe I used to play full-ring. 6max is soooo much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you rule
Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh plz change avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it's horrible!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM

If your running that well at full ring I wouldn't even consider switching. I made the move from Full to 6 max and it took me a good month or so to get used to. Full Ring I was able to play like a bot and decision were almost always very easy. 6 max theres a lot more marginal situations. At the time a lot of people convined me that there just arn't enough full ring games as you move up but I now know several high stakes FR players that have never had this problem.

There is more money to be made at 6max and it's easier to sustain a higher win rate but it's not so much higher, maybe 2-3BB/100 for the best of players. Switching to 6 max did improve my poker game a ton, I realize I was super nitty and just peddled the nuts at FR and this just isn't possible for 6 max. It's is also much harder to multitable 6 max, I used to be able to 12 table FR no problems, doing 10-12 at 6max is very hard on me.

Any ways personally your win rate is crazy good, I wouldn't even consider switching unless you really felt there was some kind of need for it.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your running that well at full ring I wouldn't even consider switching. I made the move from Full to 6 max and it took me a good month or so to get used to. Full Ring I was able to play like a bot and decision were almost always very easy. 6 max theres a lot more marginal situations. At the time a lot of people convined me that there just arn't enough full ring games as you move up but I now know several high stakes FR players that have never had this problem.

There is more money to be made at 6max and it's easier to sustain a higher win rate but it's not so much higher, maybe 2-3BB/100 for the best of players. Switching to 6 max did improve my poker game a ton, I realize I was super nitty and just peddled the nuts at FR and this just isn't possible for 6 max. It's is also much harder to multitable 6 max, I used to be able to 12 table FR no problems, doing 10-12 at 6max is very hard on me.

Any ways personally your win rate is crazy good, I wouldn't even consider switching unless you really felt there was some kind of need for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Pat,

Thanks for the wise words. I think you just said exactly what I was thinking when people talk about changing to 6MAX because there's a ton more money to be made there than on FR tables. I just have the feeling that I am missing out on action SH by playing FR where you might not take as much advantage as a better player, as you might would SH.

About there not being enough good tables FR is BS as you said, since there're enough juicy tables FR where you can make good $$$.

The only real advantage I can think of, is the fact that you get to see more hands. However, this can be solved by being able to play more tables FR than you can SH (as you said).

I can understand that 6MAX could make you a better player since there are more marginal decisions to be made. However, I think money-wise, you should be avoiding most marginal situations, ESPECIALLY at these stakes, where your edge is already big enough to make good money.
-> someone disagree with this??

AIA, you could be absolutely right about not going through the trouble of changing to 6MAX when the change doesnt nececerely give you +EV $$$.

so thanks alot for your advice man,

<---IWS
Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 PM

Glade to hear I could help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just for the record my last month of FR I was running 4BB/100 and finally after 3-4 months im running higher then that at 6max. Personally I wish I had just kept being a FR nit but now im so used to 6max I won't be going back.

If your looking for more advice on this I would suggest contacting GaryStevenson (Not 100% on the name, ill look) He is playing high stakes FR and can give you more insight on what to expect as you move up.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If your looking for more advice on this I would suggest contacting GaryStevenson (Not 100% on the name, ill look) He is playing high stakes FR and can give you more insight on what to expect as you move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

thnkz dude, can you just PM this guy or how does this work...?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 PM

I play both FR and 6max.

I think 6max is more fun and involving, but I find 8-tabling FR to be pretty damn easy. Just make a hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 08:51 PM

switch already.

6max improves your game more than FR does because you are put in much more marginal spots much more often.

FWIW I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] your avatar.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
switch already.

6max improves your game more than FR does because you are put in much more marginal spots much more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I can understand that 6MAX could make you a better player since there are more marginal decisions to be made. However, I think money-wise, you should be avoiding most marginal situations, ESPECIALLY at these stakes, where your edge is already big enough to make good money.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^disagree with this?

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty, I do my best...