Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: why was this law passed?

the wreck - That is only one of the reasons.

Frist and others are really concerned (at least they pretend to be) with the morals of gambling and how it can ruin families and how easy it is for kids to do it too.

I agree with your assessment that this whole 'land of the free' thing for the U.S. seems to be somewhat hypocritical in light of actions that our government takes on a regular basis.

But this is hardly an original idea and is held by many Americans who are frequently disgusted with some of our country's actions.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Imagine the following hypothetical commercial ad in support of Frist:

"Congress tried to do something about internet gambling for 10 years, but instead of doing anything, the online problem just exploded. Internet Gambling destroyed lives. People lost their house with a simple click of the mouse. Even children were becoming slaves to the online gambling addiction. Someone needed to do something, but who would do it? Who would step up and take on this difficult moral challenge? Frist would!

Vote for Frist--he'll get the job done!"

--Paid by the Christian Coalition, Supporters of Frist for President.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:18 PM

As I understand it, Frist wanted to add a "moral victory" to his list of achievements to help his presidential run in 2008, and to suckup to Leach helping him with Iowa primaries or whatever, Im not very good at this stuff though.

And as far as how it passed, thats just how our system works. I remember the first time I saw the Simpsons episode where Krusty becomes a congressman and attaches his Airplane ReRouting Bill to the must pass "Flags for Orphans" bill I didnt even believe our political process could be so horribly constructed, but hey, there it is.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 PM

...and there ya have it
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Poker sites have lots of money. They were being forced to spend a lot of it fighting this bill and more trying to influence the inplimentation, challenge it courts, try to repeal it, find ways around it etc.

It is important that the politicians get a cut of any industry, particularly a questionable one. They also may not mind destroying the industry.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM

I hear repeatedly about reasoning for the poker ban being, "man loses everything gambling , his family suffers ect.".Its the same arguement used for every prohibition of all victimless crimes.Here is a thought.Maybe if a man choses to destroy himself, he is the problem not the means he uses to accomplish this.Its called personal responsibility and is something that comes along with freedom and or living in a free society.But what do i know,im not christian.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Poker sites have very little money compared to B&M, not to mention hundreds of millions of dollars of tax is avoided and this helps to solidify his Christian Fundamentalist base and you've got really no compelling reasons not to.

It sucks for us, but is sweet for him.

You don't think Harrah's, MGM etc all wanted this passed more than anyone?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:48 PM

You are obviously a commie, pinko, leftist, liberal, demo scum who doesn't understand.

As is evidenced by your phrase -- "illegal gun."

Read the 2d Amendment [censored]: No guns are illegal.

[the immediately preceeding post brought to you by sarcasm dot com.]
Old 10-01-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are much more concerned about other issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is much truth to the notion that Frist in playing to the social/"christian" conservative leadership with this ploy. Essentially proving his regressive social policy bona fides by saying "see I am your lapdog."

Should he succeed and indeed need their support in primaries or even capture the nomination and run in the general in 2008 there will be plenty of time to figure out which social issues will have the best effect in getting earnest social conservatives like your family out to the polls. These two activities have little to do with each other.

In the meantime, sending some of your poker money to candidates who will see that Frist's likely successor in Republican Senate leadership, the truly aweful Mitch McConnell, is not the majority leader, is a good idea.

Look at the Talent(R)/McCaskill(D) race in Missouri, the Dewine(R)/Brown(D) race in Ohio and the Santorum(R)/Casey(D) race in Pennsylvania. Each of the Republican incumbents will continue to mine the political gold of regressive social issues if we let them. Their opponents, besides being solid public servants, will help shift the majority to the "let's-not-divide-and-conquer-with-invasive-social-legislation" party.

Of course, depending on where you live, there's lots more you can do beyond contributing money to the campaigns.

My fingers are crossed.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM

remember frist's caucaus or whatever in iowa with leach about six weeks ago? this is somethinf frist is doing to bolster his standing among social conservatives, which will definitely help him win the primary when you consider that the other frontrunners aren't as socially conservative as he is. i think this is more of a primary election tactic than anything, frist has to get the nomination first.