Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Re: win rates

[ QUOTE ]
What Im curious about is if 1-1.5 BB is attainable in full ring LHE (easy mechanical game) isnt it pretty stupid to play SH (harder requires more time to learn) for maybe another .5BB/100, a few more hands per hour (can be fixed by more tables), and tons more variance? I say this while currently playing SH LHE for the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least at 5/10+, SH tables are so much fishier than FR tables. Variance doesn't matter to me, I'm all about maximising moneys.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What Im curious about is if 1-1.5 BB is attainable in full ring LHE (easy mechanical game) isnt it pretty stupid to play SH (harder requires more time to learn) for maybe another .5BB/100, a few more hands per hour (can be fixed by more tables), and tons more variance? I say this while currently playing SH LHE for the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's dumb if you're going to play 1/2 and 2/4 the rest of your life. Full games 3/6 and above tend to suck in general. Short games are way better as you move up. In addition, if you've never played short, you're quite likely to get killed playing 10/20+ FR.

Also FR isn't an "easy mechanical game" as you move up.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 AM

Makes sense but compared to SH I consider FR much easier purely based on the fewer number of difficult decisions that are required and the more numerous amount of situations (which means more study is required to learn the game effectively).
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Makes sense but compared to SH I consider FR much easier purely based on the fewer number of difficult decisions that are required and the more numerous amount of situations (which means more study is required to learn the game effectively).

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen and heard this does not hold true as you move up in limits. I was discussing this with a friend earlier today. FR as you say, can be an "easy mechanical game". As you move up, everyone knows this, unlike at the smaller stakes. Thus these games get tougher, and the shorthanded ones are the good ones to play.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't learn situations. You learn concepts. There are far more situations then you could ever master. 95% of the concepts that apply to 5/10+ SH apply just as well 5/10+ FR. You don't sound like you've played particularly high. Your ideas about the difference between the two games is biased by that. Small stakes FR and SH games are different games. As you move up, this is no longer true.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:32 AM

You are correct that I havent played a lot of SH LHE but I have played many NLHE hands at middle stakes. Mastering a skill requires commiting learned things to your subconcious that can be quickly recalled without conscious thought. So for situations that include many factors (type of players, their relative positions, reads, board texture, hand ranges etc) having these situational factors readily availible in your subconscious makes it easier to make better decisions based upon the the information you are less familiar with in a shorter amount of time.

Basically what I was trying to say is that in a 6 handed games you will experience more variables that factor into situations more often therefore it will take longer to learn. You could probably call this idea understanding concepts also but this is what I meant.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the gaining the knowledge part is the hardest thing. I think the hardest part is the execution. The process of focusing, adjusting, and varying your play at the right times is the challenge. Years ago it was alot easier to play and a good, straighforward strategy without having to "change gears" too much got the money. Even in FR games now the process of playing the game is a great deal more difficult at least online. More difficult but more challenging and more fun. More profitable now than years ago? Yeah I think so but I digress.