Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Quick, Single Guy Meals

buy a big pack of chicken breats, then seperate them into packs of 2 or 3 using freewer bags. then freeze them. Take one out at a time. My favorite way is take them out late at night, let frozen bag sit out to defrost. Then in morning place in a marinade. put chicken(now sitting in marinade) into fridge. cook for dinner. MMMMMMMM

-the boil-in-bad packets of rice r really handy. not much clean up, takes 20min total to cook, and no real effort.

-tacos r not hard to make, and along that line fahitas. buy pack of shells(they keep for a while) and whatever else. lettuce will go bad after a week or so, so buy it night u want tacos, and use it again later in week. I prefer to buy a small bag of shredded lettuce. shredded taco cheese will keep forever- 1 bag will last 7+ meals probably. all you got to do is fry up ground beef. after making taco toss in microwave for 30-45s to melt cheese, and soften shell(if soft shell) . same with chicken- buy big pack, then use freezer bags to seperate into meal size portions.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you actually put in the effort to cook something decent for yourself (for one), make AT LEAST enough for two more meals and freeze them. It is no more effort, and very satisfying to have something decent / healthy later in the week / month with no effort.

I have one of those food-saver vacuum contraptions, and it is ideal for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to do that more. I pretty much only cook enough for that meal.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 PM

Guy? Thickburger?

Old 09-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Tacos are super easy. I also like shepherd's pie, which is basically hamburger, mixed with mashed potaoes, mushrooms and whatever else you want. Add some brown gravy mix and water for extra fun, and even cheese. Ultra good, ultra fast, makes tons of leftovers.

If you want to get creative, get a cookbook. If you can read, you can cook.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 AM

You don't have the knowledge or motivation. Knowledge is easy, there are so many recipe sites, find one that you generally like (I usually hate the big recipe sites with thousands of recipes).

Motivation you will have to work on yourself. It seems you already have some, since you made this thread. It really is worthwhile to learn, and you may even enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Deep fryer. Comes with recipes in instruction manual.

Good eatin'.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 AM

Can someone go through a REALLY simple way of cooking frozen chicken (like, a bag of 10 frozen chicken breasts).

I don't know how long to dethaw, if I can run them under cold water, how to marinade them, how to cook them... anything.

Please? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 AM

All of the above are great.

For salmon, squeeze a lemon over it, add some crushed garlic, and totally cover it in a layer of Old Bay seasoning, grill til it starts sweating white stuff.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 AM

This might sound kinda not good (read disgusting), but Indians use yogurt in a lot of their meals. So I usually just boil some rice mix in some yogurt, salt and that's usually good for me. Takes abt 20 minutes to make.. and if you have a rice cooker there is no preparation involved whatsoever.

If I wanted a refreshing drink, then I would get some yogurt in a bowl and then cut up some green chillies (1-2) add salt add some water and then mix this up with an eggbeater (yes, this method is the best). This will give you a slightly less thick yogurt that is kinda spicy and you can eat this with rice. You can also put some ice and this will be a refreshing summer drink.

If you are looking for some side dishes, I usually take 3 hotdogs and cut them into small pieces, fry them up in some oil sprinkled with a little chilli powder and it's good to go.

These meals are always tasty for me and they are dirt cheap and average around $2-$3/meal.. maybe less.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone go through a REALLY simple way of cooking frozen chicken (like, a bag of 10 frozen chicken breasts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get that many at time. When you defrost you want to do it all at once.

Your microwave probably has a defrost setting. this will be low power, and may have little intermissions so you can turn the chicken over. It is also likely to be done by the pound. One breast is about half a pound.

OK, here is a SUPER simple marinade

Italian Dressing

That's right, just pour some Italian dressing over it, let it soak for a couple hours in the fridge, then grill or broil it for about 12 minutes or until done.

Once you feel comfortable with that, try this.

Tequila Lime Chicken

put your chicken in a bowl

salt and pepper

add juice of one lime(*)

add garlic clove (pressed or chopped)

add a shot glass of tequila <font color="red">(take one for yourself, too)</font>

fill the shotglass halfway with triple sec, fill the other half with vegetable oil, add that to the bowl

let it marinate for a couple hours, then grill or broil

(*) if you are up for it, zest the lime first and add that to the marinade, too

One great thing about this recipe is that you can make extra and use the leftovers to make burritos.