Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: new to online instructional videos

[ QUOTE ]
what about other sites? i play mostly 6 max limit hold 'em...but would like to improve in NLHE tourney and cash, so I guess cardrunners would still be a solid investment. However, i assume you cannot download the videos?

[/ QUOTE ]

For 6max LHE Stox is likely the place. I don't think there is anything else better out there for that. Stox does have a decent amount of NL stuff, but nowhere near the volume of Cardrunners.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stox does have a decent amount of NL stuff, but nowhere near the volume of Cardrunners.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quantity aside, how do they compare in quality? I think stox is an excellent teacher. Are the cardrunners guys as good (or better)?

[I know cardrunners is mostly no-limit while stox has more of a reputation for limit. But is the difference mostly in quantity and focus, or is there a significant qualitative difference as well? I'm not familiar with cardunners, but it's hard for me to imagine the quality of their instruction being much better than the stox videos.]
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 AM

GP explains things better than Muddy IMO but both are goods. So no problem there.

If you can afford it, get them both. It is "only" $20/month/site. If you dont want to pay both, choose CR if you play NL and Stox if limit.

I have them both and must agree, Stox is a very good teacher but guys at CR aint so bad either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GP explains things better than Muddy IMO but both are goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both GP and Muddywater are at CR, so did you mean something else? To compare GP and Stoxtrader?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM

http://www.pokerxfactor.com/

this site any good? run by sheets and johnny bax
Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerxfactor.com/

this site any good? run by sheets and johnny bax

[/ QUOTE ]

For NL Tournaments and SNGs yes it is, if you are looking for tournament instruction PXF >>> CR, probably anywhere else too. However it is pretty strictly tournaments though, 1 cash game vid from Rizen which is good but its just 1 vid, also bax has bonus footage of playing O8, but its clear that its BONUS FOOTAGE and not for instruction but entertainment. CR is good for NL cash but I didnt think the tournament vids were that great.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 PM

so to sum up the thread so far, these are the best bets

card runners for NL cash games
stoxpoker for limit cash games
pokerxfactor for tourneys and SNGs
Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 AM

I have both CR and Stox. At $40 monthly it is a natural investment for an online pro/semipro, if not continuously then at least for a few months.

GP videos are excellent and have helped me to develop my 6 max n/l approach. Muddy videos are very good too. Filthy and some other (but not all) of the guest pros have been poor, but still always interesting to see how these players think. Haven't watched much of the tourey vids yet. I'd like to see other games (PLO, PLO8, etc.)

Haven't watched as much of Stox as I am new there, but he seems to explain well in limit, some of the guest commentators are not bad. The LO8 video by Adam is decent and the only LO8 video available that I've seen. Haven't watched much of the no-limit vids there yet, from what I watched they are not as insightful as CR on no-limit.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 AM

the omaha/8 video by adam schwartz eric's talking about is also available on bigpoker.ca, there are a few training vids there by pros that are free for those who havent seen training videos before and want to get an idea of what these pay sites offer (they are of course of better quality and more educational, but the format of a screen recording plus audio commentary is similar)
Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 PM

are there any other sites we're missing? i just found the johnny bax site, and no one had mentioned previously.

but sounds like if you just go for 2 of these stox and another, you'd be all right.