Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Nihilism

It is. I find myself thinking along these lines when asking difficult moral dilemmas.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Greenfield,

If you are interested in Nihilism, but have trouble with its seemingly inhumane effects, you might enjoy Nietzsche.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ] ok cool, any specific reads?

[/ QUOTE ] The Gay Science. And no, this time I'm not talking about sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad choice, but I'd recommend starting with Beyond Good and Evil and then moving on to Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nihilism is compassionate by its nature. Especially when it's at its most brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]
If nihilism = rejection of all morals, how is it compassionate? (Or do you have a better definition?)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If nihilism = rejection of all morals, how is it compassionate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove to me that traditional morality is compassionate.

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If nihilism = rejection of all morals, how is it compassionate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove to me that traditional morality is compassionate.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont quite see the relevance. I think compassion is caring what happens to other people. I dont understand how rejecting all morality promotes caring what happens to other people.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont quite see the relevance. I think compassion is caring what happens to other people. I dont understand how rejecting all morality promotes caring what happens to other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here is an extremely simplified and generalized example:

The Golden Rule, or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," is considered a maxim of traditional morality. What if I enjoy being choked to near unconsciousness during intercourse?

The GR implicitly ignores the wishes of others and explicitly replaces their concerns with one's own. This is a very uncompassionate attitude, particurarly since it tries to disguise egotism as compassion.

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here is an extremely simplified and generalized example:

The Golden Rule, or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," is considered a maxim of traditional morality. What if I enjoy being choked to near unconsciousness during intercourse?

The GR implicitly ignores the wishes of others and explicitly replaces their concerns with one's own. This is a very uncompassionate attitude, particurarly since it tries to disguise egotism as compassion.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand what you are saying. I am not advocating the golden rule or any other moral code for that matter.

What I am asking is how rejecting all morality promotes caring what happens to other people?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am asking is how rejecting all morality promotes caring what happens to other people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that it promotes compassion, and I also do not think that anyone else is. I also think that most of the posts in this thread aren't quite understanding Nihilism.

All I am trying to say is that Nihilism (as I understand it) and compassion are not mutually exclusive, and to do so by showing that the values which Nihilism rejects do sometimes hinder compassion.

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM

My initial question was in response to madnak who said nihilism is by it's nature compassionate. I dont understand this (I see that it is not mutually exclusive with compassion, I just dont see what it is about nihilism that is inherently compassionate).
Old 09-24-2006, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My initial question was in response to madnak who said nihilism is by it's nature compassionate. I dont understand this (I see that it is not mutually exclusive with compassion, I just dont see what it is about nihilism that is inherently compassionate).

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot speak for madnak, but perhaps he would strengthen my claims. Where I say that traditional morality can (and sometimes does) hinder compassion, perhaps he would say that traditional ethics always excludes compassion.

Scott

PS Though an extreme claim, it might actually be a valid one.