Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: What would the equivalent of a NLHE PhD be?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Ferguson may have a math PhD, ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Does he? I though that he studied computer science? Also I thought that he dropped out before fnishing his Ph.D. - cos he was making too much money from poker. Is this false?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has his PhD and a PhD in Computer Science is a degree in mathematics, just a specialized field.

Pilket
Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would the equivalent of a NLHE PhD be in terms of your mastery of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

A bankroll of eleventy billion dollars.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Writing a book on NLHE that adds to our body of knowledge.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM

I'm also going to attempt a serious answer.

The problem with the question is PhD's are not granted in practice areas. Being a successful poker player is more like being a successful businessperson, or doctor or lawyer than being a researcher in business, medicine or law (actually medicine awards doctorates for practice, but PhD's only for research, Law is really messed up with doctorates for practice and master's degrees for research; but I'm taking PhD to mean "research degree" rather than "doctorate").

So the person with an equivalent of a PhD in poker should be someone you would go to for new poker ideas, not necessarily someone who can play well or teach well. A successful practitioner who has written useful books is also not the same thing as a professional researcher.

Of course, there are PhD's who study poker: mathematicians, computer scientists and economists. But these are PhD's in other fields who study poker, not poker PhD's.

I think a PhD in poker would have to (a) be familiar with the range of poker theory and literature, and (b) have contributed to it in a way valued by other researchers, not necessarily the general public. Sklansky, Malmuth and Miller play so much, and are so popular, that they could be PhD/popularizers (like Carl Sagan or Stephen Hawking) or successful practioners who also write (like F. Lee Bailey or George Soros). The pure poker PhD should be a theorist more than a player or popularizer.

So I would ask, "who writes the books and articles that are most read by other theorists"? Ed Thorp ("Beat the Dealer" and "Beat the Market") is a great example of a guy who doesn't play poker and isn't interested in it, but whose books are certainly read by people interested in poker theory.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM

Bill Chen
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM

A Ph.D. is a degree awarded for a significant development of research or other scholarship in a given field.

Any donk who applies herself can get a decent win rate in today's online NLHE games. It doesn't take significant research or scholarship.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Agreed.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Ph.D. is a degree awarded for a significant development of research or other scholarship in a given field.

Any donk who applies herself can get a decent win rate in today's online NLHE games. It doesn't take significant research or scholarship.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between a PhD and a GED!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM

engineer mba and a couple of the above posts are on the right track i beleive. one of my tutors explained to our class in very simplistic terms;

bachelor level = learning the theories and concepts
masters/honours = questioning the theories and concepts
PH.D = formulating your own concepts and theories

i'm not saying to be a poker phd you must invent a new theory or style of play or formula to determine implied odds - but there must be such a deep understanding of the game and psychology that you are able to communicate ideas of others as well as your own, better than has been done before.

thus, solid posters, authors, etc. even players who shape the game and impact how it is played- all qualify
Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Ferguson may have a math PhD, ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Does he? I though that he studied computer science? Also I thought that he dropped out before fnishing his Ph.D. - cos he was making too much money from poker. Is this false?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he spent 18 years at UCLA and received his PhD in computer science.

"In 1999, Chris Ferguson had spent exactly half his life at UCLA. After 5 years as an undergrad and another 13 as a graduate student, UCLA awarded him a Ph.D. in Computer Science and told him it was time to leave the nest of academia. He went reluctantly. "

http://www.flopturnriver.com/Chris-Ferguson.html